Melissa’s Menu: Holiday ‘trash’ cookies 

0
1

The holidays have always been my favorite time to bake. For as long as I can remember, I’ve helped my mom bake tons of Christmas cookies every year in December, and now any kind of baking around this time is special and sentimental for me. I find baking fun and comforting, and there’s nothing better than sharing freshly baked treats with friends and family. This week I’m sharing the perfect recipe to try out this holiday season: Holiday “trash” cookies. Don’t be turned away by the name — they are called “trash” cookies because they’re loaded with snacks you might already have in the kitchen. They are similar to chocolate chip cookies but have pretzels, potato chips and sprinkles added into the dough. The result is a cookie that’s not too overwhelming and has the perfect balance of salty and sweet. This recipe is easy to make and can be modified to include any other ingredients you want to add, such as caramel chews or M&Ms.  

Ingredients 

3/4 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature 

1/2 cup of granulated sugar 

1/2 cup of brown sugar 

1 large egg 

2 teaspoons of vanilla 

2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour 

1 teaspoon of baking soda 

1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt 

1/3 cup of crushed potato chips 

1/3 cup of crushed pretzels 

1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips 

3 tablespoons of red and green sprinkles 

Flaky sea salt, for garnish 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, for about three to four minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt until combined. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until smooth (the dough will be thick).  

Gently fold in potato chips, pretzels, chocolate chips and sprinkles. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of dough and transfer them onto the prepared baking sheets. Slightly press them down onto baking sheets and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until edges are just starting to get golden, for about seven to eight minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool for about two or three minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.