‘Turkey Drop:’ The perfect Thanksgiving movie for college kids  

0
2
exc-5de5b3c8cceb6a637f203970

When I saw Freeform was debuting a new Thanksgiving movie, I thought it would be a perfect watch for break. I also thought since the movie was on Freeform, it would be filled with annoying teen clichés. Thankfully, the movie had a deeper, relatable meaning that balanced out some of the hackneyed plot devices all too common in teen movies.  

“Turkey Drop” follows Lucy (Olivia Holt), an Idaho native and freshman at Arizona Vista University, as she returns home for Thanksgiving. It’s the first time she’s been home since the start of the school year, and she’s worried that her high school boyfriend is going to dump her over the break. Though Lucy doesn’t want that to happen, there’s also a new guy in her life: her brother’s annoying friend turned love interest, Dean (Ben Levin). Audiences watch as Lucy struggles to communicate her feelings and make hard decisions before Thanksgiving. 

The movie isn’t about Thanksgiving really, but focuses on Lucy’s growth and development as she learns to accept change. Throughout the movie Lucy argues that change isn’t good and only complicates things. By the end of the film, however, Lucy begins to view change as a positive thing that allows people to move forward in their life.  

The narrative of “Turkey Drop” nicely portrayed this theme of change. Lucy being a college freshman was perfect for the theme, since freshman year of college is possibly the most change-filled year of a person’s life: They’re living in a new place, they’re meeting new people and they’re learning who they are on their own.  

The juxtaposition of other characters like Dean, the new love interest, with Jordan, Lucy’s boyfriend of five years, also helped to demonstrate how change can be beneficial. Audiences root for Lucy to like Dean, a guy who cares about and is clearly interested in her, instead of Jordan, who seemed to go MIA when Lucy was away at school in Arizona.  

Not only does Lucy learn relationships can change, she learns that she herself can change to become better at something she never thought she’d be good at. It was nice to see the confidence boost that Lucy gets from completing the 10k Turkey Trot and even better to see her use this newfound confidence to make a hard decision.  

“Turkey Drop” was a cute movie overall. Holt played a lovable, insecure Lucy who learned how to get what she wanted. While Holt gave a great performance, Levin’s portrayal of Lucy’s love interest was somewhat stereotypical and bland. Unlike other cinematic love interests, Levin’s Dean didn’t have any interesting personality trait or hobby that really made him stand out to audiences as boyfriend material besides his romantic interest in Lucy. Dean was a one-dimensional character, but his concern for Lucy made him endearing.   

The movie was a fun watch for Thanksgiving break since it was set during the holidays. Though it wasn’t so much about Thanksgiving and the meaning of the holiday, it was still nice to see a movie set during Turkey Day since it’s often overshadowed by Christmas.  

Holt’s performance and the theme of “Turkey Drop” made it a good movie to watch for college-aged people. The challenges of growing up and finding one’s own voice that Lucy went through are relevant for any college student, and “Turkey Drop” treats the issues in a way that might just have you rethinking your own ideas about change.  

Rating: 4/5 

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.