UConn to hold second Give A Meal day of the semester

0
0
exc-5de5b7458d3bc02940289fbb

UConn will be holding another Give A Meal day tomorrow to combat food insecurity.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

UConn will be holding another Give A Meal day tomorrow to combat food insecurity. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

On Dec. 4, the University of Connecticut will be holding its second Give A Meal day of the semester with 100% of the proceeds going to student food insecurity. 

Like the previous Give A Meal day, this program looks to fight food insecurity on UConn’s campus. The U.S. Department of Agriculture defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life. 

From 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. on Dec. 4, every dining hall on campus will be accepting flex pass donations. These flex passes will then be converted to a $2.50 donation that goes directly to the UConn Swipes Initiative. Dennis Pierce, the executive director of Dining Services, said there are three main purposes of this program. 

“One, to provide students to donate for their peers that are challenged with food insecurity, two let students know that there is a resource in place to assist them in their time of need and third, provide a clear definition/criteria of the definition of being food insecure,” Pierce said. 

Since the program’s creation, it has donated $9,815 towards food insecurity for students on campus. This amount has over doubled with the recent Give A Meal day on Oct. 16, before which the program had only raised $4,302. Pierce encourages any student with extra flex passes to donate. 

Any student who feels they are eligible for the Swipes Initiative is encouraged to visit the Dean of Students Office in Wilbur Cross room 203 to discuss their eligibility. Students can visit from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. during the week or contact the office through their number 860-486-3426 if they need to schedule a meeting outside of their hours. 

Additionally, any student who would like to donate more than a flex pass can visit the Students First Fund donations page. This program was created for students who face unanticipated hardships and challenges. According to Pierce, it is supported by private donations, so any donations enable the University to demonstrate their care and concern for the student body. 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.