Mansfield restaurants pass health inspections  

0
1

D.P Dough received a 93 on their May 23, 2019 inspection. D.P. Dough’s owner and manager, Cory Hill, said that he takes annual classes and exams to make sure he is up-to-date on how to keep his restaurant up to code.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

D.P Dough received a 93 on their May 23, 2019 inspection. D.P. Dough’s owner and manager, Cory Hill, said that he takes annual classes and exams to make sure he is up-to-date on how to keep his restaurant up to code. Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Restaurants located near the University of Connecticut tend to have high ratings, according to the state of Connecticut’s Department of Public Health food service inspection reports.  

The Daily Campus analyzed the most recent food service inspection reports from nine restaurants in Mansfield: Ted’s Restaurant, Blaze Pizza, Chang’s Garden, D.P. Dough, Eat Joy, Geno’s Grille, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Oriental Cafe and Mooyah Burgers. Within these restaurants, the highest score was a 98 and the lowest score was an 84. 

The official scores are listed below:  

Moe’s Southwest Grill received a 98 on their Oct. 12, 2019 inspection.  

Blaze Pizza received a 97 on their Oct. 26, 2019 inspection.  

Mooyah Burgers received a 96 on their Oct. 12, 2019 inspection.  

Geno’s Grille received a 95 on their Oct. 26, 2019 inspection.  

D.P Dough received a 93 on their May 23, 2019 inspection.  

Oriental Cafe received a 93 on their Aug. 24, 2019 inspection.  

Chang’s Garden received a 92 on their Sept. 28, 2019 inspection.  

Eat Joy received an 87 on their Oct. 5, 2019 inspection.  

Ted’s Restaurant received an 84 on their Sept. 15, 2019 inspection.  

Connecticut’s Department of Public Health uses a 100-point scale system for restaurant inspections, according to the Milford Mirror. A failing grade is a score under 80 or if a restaurant receives one or more four-point violations, which include, but are not limited to, improper source of food, hazardous food temperatures and inadequate toilet facilities.  

Under the state guidelines, the nine restaurants all passed.  

According to the New Haven Register, Connecticut began changing its restaurant inspection system in early 2019. The new system focuses on specific violations instead of pass or fail grades.  

Moe’s Southwest Grill received a 98 on their Oct. 12, 2019 inspection. Moe’s Southwest Grill general manager, Marilyn Gonzalez, said that it was “pretty easy” for Moe’s to get a passing health inspection.  File Photo / The Daily Campus

Moe’s Southwest Grill received a 98 on their Oct. 12, 2019 inspection. Moe’s Southwest Grill general manager, Marilyn Gonzalez, said that it was “pretty easy” for Moe’s to get a passing health inspection. File Photo / The Daily Campus

Connecticut has 66 health agencies, which conduct inspections three times per year, according to NBC Connecticut. The nine restaurants were inspected by Eastern Highlands Health District, which inspect all restaurants in Andover, Ashford, Bolton, Chaplin, Columbia, Coventry, Mansfield, Scotland, Tolland and Willington.  

Moe’s Southwest Grill general manager, Marilyn Gonzalez, said that it was “pretty easy” for Moe’s to get a passing health inspection.  

“It is pretty much standard for us to have good sanitary skills and to train employees properly,” Gonzalez said. “We don’t have to worry about it that much.”  

D.P. Dough’s owner and manager, Cory Hill, said that he takes annual classes and exams to make sure he is up-to-date on how to keep his restaurant up to code. He tries to integrate what he has learned into the daily routine of D.P. Dough.  

Hill said that passing health inspections helps make sure that they are doing everything they can to keep customers safe.  

“We are protecting the people in the community that we see as peers, coworkers and students of the University of Connecticut,” Hill said. “It isn’t about making money. It is about feeding the community and keeping everyone safe.”  

Kelsey Silverio, Mooyah’s manager, said that they always aim to pass their health inspections in order to “uphold the brand standards.”  

“At Mooyah, we do everything in our training and daily operations to ensure that we are upholding all state standards when it comes to the health department,” Silverio said. 

Blaze Pizza, Chang’s Garden, Geno’s Grille, Eat Joy, Ted’s Restaurant and Oriental Cafe did not provide a comment to The Daily Campus before article publication.  

With these nine restaurants, six restaurants, Eat Joy, Ted’s restaurant, Chang’s Garden, Blaze Pizza, Moe’s Southwest Grill and Oriental Cafe, received notes in the remarks section of the inspection reports about unclean areas. While the areas varied from each restaurant, the common ones were unclean floors and unclean ice machine interior.  

After receiving their inspection reports, the restaurants will have until their next routine inspection to address the remarks, according to the reports.  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu