Northwest, McMahon dining halls to have extended finals week hours

0
1
exc-5de88669f365a474da476b24

University of Connecticut’s Northwest and McMahon dining halls will be open until 1 a.m. throughout finals week, starting Monday.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

University of Connecticut’s Northwest and McMahon dining halls will be open until 1 a.m. throughout finals week, starting Monday. Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

For the first time, the University of Connecticut’s Northwest and McMahon dining halls will be open until 12:30 a.m. throughout finals week, starting Monday. 

The Undergraduate Student Government’s Academic Affairs Committee worked with UConn’s Dining Services to extend the hours, said Brady Harman, USG’s chief of staff to the vice president. 

“It began with, if the library is open 24 hours, why aren’t other crucial things on campus, such as dining halls, open later?” Academic Affairs Committee Chairperson Mansi Chapatwala said.

The dining halls will be serving coffee and snacks, such as cookies and fruit, and will be open as a study space.

USG’s Academic Affairs Committee spoke with dining services, who told them extending the hours of all dining halls was not possible, Chapatwala said. The committee chose Northwest and McMahon because they are in the most convenient locations, with Northwest serving the north side of campus and McMahon serving the south side. 

“Hopefully in the future more dining halls will be extended with longer hours, but since this is the first time this is being done, it’s a trial,” Chapatwala said. 

Correction: On Dec. 5, The Daily Campus wrote that Northwest and McMahon dining halls will be open until 1 a.m. during finals week, they will only be open until 12:30 a.m.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.