The Buildings of Storrs: Anna M. Snow Residence Hall

0
3
exc-5de882520036db4b01bb9a98

Snow Residence Hall is named after Anna Mabel Snow, one of the first women to attend the University of Connecticut.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

Snow Residence Hall is named after Anna Mabel Snow, one of the first women to attend the University of Connecticut. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

In this edition of The Buildings of Storrs, The Daily Campus looks at Anna Mabel Snow Residence Hall in South campus.  

Snow Residence Hall is named after one of the first women to attend the University of Connecticut. Anna Mabel Snow, according to the Report of Trustees of the University of Connecticut, was born in Waterbury, Connecticut in 1871. She was one of the first few female students of the university, arriving at the college in 1892. She was the third woman to attend the university, according to the book “Red Brick in the Land of Steady Habits,” preceded by Nellie Louise Wilson and Louise Jane Rosebrooks the previous year. During that time, while women were allowed to attend the college, it was not officially open for men and women until 1893. The records from the Report of Trustees states she graduated in 1895 and married that year to a Storrs local named Edward B. Fitts, taking her husband’s surname. Little is known of her life after graduation, though she is currently buried in Storrs cemetery after dying in 1926.  

Snow was forgotten for almost a century until UConn’s Century of Women in 1991, celebrating the centennial of women on campus. Local historians looked to identify the original female students, among them Mrs. Fitts. In 1998, the three South campus residence halls were opened to students, with the other two buildings named after the other two original female students of UConn. According to UConn Today, the buildings were part of UConn 2000, a 10-year plan which gave $1 billion to build infrastructure and advancements for the 21st century.

Samuel Katz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at samuel.katz@uconn.edu.