‘University of Construction’ throughout the decade 

0
1
exc-5de9a43baf5042083baec632

In this 2016 file photo, Next Generation Hall, later renamed Werth Tower, is under construction. This residence hall now houses many of the learning communities on campus.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

In this 2016 file photo, Next Generation Hall, later renamed Werth Tower, is under construction. This residence hall now houses many of the learning communities on campus. File Photo/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut saw plenty of development in its campus and infrastructure in the 2010s.  

The decade began with the construction of the Public Safety Security Garage and Storage Facility and the Compost Facility in 2010. 

In 2011, what is now McHugh Hall, opened under the name Laurel Hall.  

Oak Hall officially opened in 2012, along with the Carolyn Ladd Widmer Wing of Storrs Hall, which houses the School of Nursing. That was also the year McMahon Dining Hall reopened following renovations. This is when the dining hall pivoted to serving food with an international focus, what many students know it for today. 

At the Avery Point Campus, a new Student Center opened in 2013. The new Water Reclamation Facility opened in Storrs, and the Psychology Building was renovated that year as well.  

The early 2010s also saw major developments in Storrs Center. Many of the stores students see now, such as Moe’s, Insomnia Cookies and Subway, opened in 2012. The Oaks opened in Storrs Center in 2013, around the same time the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry moved there.  

Beginning in 2014, University Planning, Design and Construction set about updating their campus Master Plan. The Master Plan is the guiding document for construction on campus. This iteration laid the framework for all construction from 2015 through 2025. It included plans to spend $1.54 billion on development through the Next Generation Connecticut (NextGenCT) initiative, which sought to better STEM education at UConn.  

The foundations for this plan were laid in 2015 with the completion of Discovery Drive.  

In 2016 Next Generation Hall, later renamed Werth Tower, opened, the first major development of the initiative. This residence hall now houses many of the learning communities on campus.  

In 2017, construction finished on the Innovation Partnership Building and Engineering & Science Building. That was also the year UConn Hartford relocated from West Hartford to downtown Hartford.  

The Kellogg Dairy Center, which houses UConn’s robotic cow milkers, opened in 2018.  

This year, the new Student Recreation Center opened in the middle of the Storrs campus at the beginning of the fall semester. Going forward, UConn is looking to develop a new science quad in the north part of campus, and the Fine Arts building will finish renovations next year.  

Grace McFadden is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.mcfadden@uconn.edu.