UConn receives $3 million donation for research

0
2

An anonymous donor gave the University of Connecticut $3 million to endow two ecology and evolutionary biology research positions last week.  (File Photo/Daily Campus)

An anonymous donor gave the University of Connecticut $3 million to endow two ecology and evolutionary biology research positions last week. (File Photo/Daily Campus)

An anonymous donor gave the University of Connecticut $3 million to endow two ecology and evolutionary biology research positions last week. According to a UConn press release, the donation will allow the university to recruit two of the best scientists in the field. 

“No department in the university has been granted two endowed chairs simultaneously like this,” Eric Scultz, UConn ecology and evolutionary biology professor said. “It represents a substantial and absolutely incredible opportunity for us.” 

According to Juli Wade, the dean of UConn’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the research positions will elevate the already innovative research being done.

“Transformative gifts like these help us attract and keep the best researchers and educators,” Wade said. 

During UConn President Thomas Katsouleas’s inauguration, he announced his goal to double UConn’s research over the next 10 years. 

“We must continue to invest in excellence,” Katsouleas said during his inauguration. 

The ecology and evolutionary biology department at UConn researches ecology, evolution, systematics, biological diversity, conservation and the functional biology of organisms, according to their website (https://eeb.uconn.edu/).  

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.