Women’s Basketball: Huskies hold on to beat UCF

0
1
exc-5e22914c6208476247527516

UCF came roaring back in the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s game, but UConn ultimately held on to secure the 59-52 win over UCF, extending their American Athletic Conference record to 126-0 since joining the conference.

The Huskies (15-1) held a 16-3 advantage over the Golden Knights (9-6) in the second quarter, which gave them enough cushion to hold off their opponents’ 25-18 fourth quarter-run.

UConn’s highest scorer for the game was Megan Walker with 19 points and eight rebounds, but turned the ball over five times. Crystal Dangerfield added 13 points, five assists and three steals.

Christyn Williams, who has been turning in an impressive sophomore season, struggled against UCF. She scored just five points, shooting 1-for-9 from the field and 0-for-5 from deep.

In fact, Walker, Dangerfield and Williams all seemed to underachieve Thursday night. The trio all played the entire game, combined 12-for-38 from the field (31.6 percent) and 2-for-14 from beyond the arc (14.3 percent) with seven turnovers.

Anna Makurat, who has been finding herself within UConn’s offense as the season has progressed, scored 10 points (3-for-7), knocking down two of her four 3-point tries.

Though Makurat also turned the ball over six times, adding to UConn’s staggering total of 18, she has been shooting the ball well over the past few games. The freshman has made multiple threes in four of the last five games, and has shot over 50 percent from deep in seven of the last eight. Though she didn’t draw the start versus UCF, she played 33 minutes, which was fourth on the team.

As students return to campus for the spring semester, the team will also be returning to Gampel Pavilion. There, UConn will take on Tulsa (5-12) Sunday at noon.

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.