Melissa’s Menu: Meal-prep chicken teriyaki stir-fry

0
1
exc-5e2659136fef6f177e9739e5

Photo via    Pixabay

Photo via Pixabay

The start of a new semester can be a stressful time. After a month of living at home with little responsibility and a mom that cooked for me every day, I was anxious to return to school, begin classes AND readjust to completely taking care of myself. That’s why this Melissa’s Menu is a super easy meal-prep idea to help alleviate some of this stress: Chicken teriyaki stir-fry. This is a really simple and delicious recipe that takes little time to make but will last through the week. The teriyaki sauce only requires a few ingredients but adds an excellent flavor to the dish and pairs well with chicken, veggies and rice. This recipe can easily be modified, as well: Feel free to swap the rice for any grain or use different vegetables. 

Ingredients: 

3 chicken breasts, cubed 

Salt, to taste 

Pepper, to taste 

1 teaspoon of crushed garlic 

1/2 cup of soy sauce 

1/3 cup of honey 

1 1/2 tablespoons of sesame seeds, more to garnish 

1 sliced onion 

2 thinly sliced small bell peppers 

2 cups of broccoli 

1 thinly sliced green onion 

Cooked white rice 

Directions: 

In a pan, cook cut chicken over medium-high heat until almost done. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in crushed garlic. Add the soy sauce, honey and one tablespoon of sesame seeds. Stir until thickened. Remove the chicken from the pan, leaving the sauce, and add the vegetables. Cover the pan for several minutes and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, then remove the lid and stir until the sauce is thick again. Split the rice, vegetables and chicken evenly between four containers. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onion. Refrigerate for up to four days. Enjoy! 

Image courtesy of tasty.co 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu