‘Sex Education’ season two combined themes of teen angst and life advice to turn awkward moments to wholesome moments

0
5
exc-5e27b3fe697bf81c115fdb95

Netflix’s “Sex Education” season two was released on January 17, 2020.  Photo courtesy of    @sexeducation

Netflix’s “Sex Education” season two was released on January 17, 2020. Photo courtesy of @sexeducation

After a whole year, Netflix finally granted the wishes of “Sex Education” fans by releasing season two last Friday. The entrance to Moordale Academy has been reopened for audiences to observe its students and their promiscuous actions. 

With its title being “Sex Education,” the show is often misunderstood. Of course, it is primarily a comedy with vulgar jokes here and there, but what I personally loved about the first season was getting to know the characters, their backstories and the lessons they learn about their sex lives. I believe that season two also achieves the same goal by addressing topics not many shows have talked about in the past.

There are two main incidences that occur throughout the season which stuck out to me the most, the first one being asexual representation. The LGBTQIA+ community has definitely received adequate representation in recent television, but I haven’t seen any shows address asexuality. In its second season, “Sex Education” addresses the immediate assumption that most people share: “Everyone has sex.” 

Florence, a student at Moordale who is cast to play Juliet in their school play, comes to main character Otis’ mother, Jean Milburn (Gillian Anderson), for help. Jean, a licensed sex therapist, has established her own office in the school to tend to students’ problems. When meeting with Florence, she explains asexuality and delivers the most memorable quote of the season, “Sex doesn’t make you whole. And so, how could you ever be broken?” 

The second topic worth recapping revolves around the relationship between Eric (Ncuti Gatwa) and Adam (Connor Swindells). Their initial interactions were very tense, as Adam often bullied Eric in the first season. However, the end of season one came with a twist when the characters kissed during the last episode. Some fans were pleased with the outcome, but others called out the writing as cliché. 

The “homophobic-bully-falling-in-love-with-the gay-victim” trope is an unfortunate product of televised media romanticizing toxic relationships. For a beloved show like “Sex Education” to use this same storyline was somewhat disappointing to me, but there was definitely a turnaround in season two. 

After Adam gets kicked out of military school, he returns home and decides to kindle a relationship with Eric by inviting him to spend nights smashing objects in a junkyard. Later, Eric discloses his recent relations with his best friend, Otis (Asa Butterfield), who expresses his disbelief as to why Eric would want to be romantically related to his former bully. Most shows would normally just gloss over the situation and claim that “people change.” I’m glad that this one actually addressed the issue and took the time to resolve it. 

Sex has become known as an unconventional topic that is usually avoided or at the center of every joke. I think creating a show specifically to change this unbudging approach was a great way to not only entertain audiences but also to let people find wholesomeness in life’s messiest moments. Season two is just another example. 

Rating: 4/5 

Thumbnail courtesy of @sexeducation

Esther Ju is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. They can be reached via email at esther.ju@uconn.edu.