Around the American Men’s Basketball: Houston replaces Wichita State in the polls

0
7

Houston forward Fabian White Jr. (35) battles for a rebound with Wichita State forward Jaime Echenique (21) during NCAA college basketball game action Saturday, in Wichita, Kan.  Photo courtesy of Bo Rader/The Wichita Eagle via AP

Houston forward Fabian White Jr. (35) battles for a rebound with Wichita State forward Jaime Echenique (21) during NCAA college basketball game action Saturday, in Wichita, Kan. Photo courtesy of Bo Rader/The Wichita Eagle via AP

In Monday’s new AP poll, the American Athletic Conference still had two ranked teams, but only one was the same as the previous week. Memphis moved up two spots to No. 20 after a light week during which they handled Cincinnati easily 60-49 in their lone game. However, Wichita State, the previous week’s No. 16 team, was nowhere to be found. 

Instead, Houston made its first appearance in the poll this season, clocking in at No. 25 after beating the Shockers 65-54 on Saturday. Fabian White, Jr. led the way for the Cougars in that game with 14 points, five rebounds and two blocks. Wichita State really struggled, shooting just 30% from the field and committing 14 turnovers. This loss, paired with the 65-53 loss to Temple earlier in the week, dropped Wichita State from the rankings completely and moved their conference record to 3-2 after starting undefeated.  

Temple followed up their big win over Wichita State with a 16-point loss to SMU on Saturday. SMU has been a surprisingly decent team so far this season with a 13-4 overall record. Also on Saturday, Tulsa defeated Tulane 67-54 for their third consecutive conference win.  

Tulsa is tied with Houston at the top of the AAC standings with a 4-1 record, and they are the only team to beat the Cougars in conference play so far. The Golden Hurricane faces its toughest opponent yet when Memphis comes to town on Wednesday. 

Cincinnati rebounded from its Thursday loss to Memphis with a monster 82-57 win over East Carolina on Sunday, moving their conference record to 4-2. Tre Scott recorded a double-double in that game with 16 points and 11 rebounds, while Jarron Cumberland added 13 points and seven assists.  

Cincinnati guards Jaevin Cumberland (21) and Jarron Cumberland (34) react after a 3-pointer against Tulsa during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Wednesday, in Cincinnati.  Photo courtesy of Kareem Elagazzar/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP

Cincinnati guards Jaevin Cumberland (21) and Jarron Cumberland (34) react after a 3-pointer against Tulsa during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Wednesday, in Cincinnati. Photo courtesy of Kareem Elagazzar/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP

Finally, UCF edged out USF 55-54 in the War on I-4 on Saturday, moving USF to the cellar of the conference standings with a 1-4 record. The Knights were down five points with just two minutes to go in the game, but they rallied to score six unanswered thanks to a couple of costly fouls by the Bulls. UCF got strong contributions from Dazon Ingram with 11 points, six rebounds and five assists. 

Some good AAC games to look out for this week include Tulsa vs. Memphis on Wednesday, UConn vs. Houston on Thursday and UCF vs. Wichita State on Saturday, all of which can be seen on ESPNU. 

Danny Barletta is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu. He tweets @dbars_12.