4 Moscow Mule recipes to make your weekend

0
1

Focus photo of a Moscow Mule. Photo by  Wine Dharma  on  Unsplash

Focus photo of a Moscow Mule. Photo by Wine Dharma on Unsplash

Moscow mules have long been a staple for every avid cocktail enthusiast, but I’ve never been able to get behind the traditional recipe because I’m personally not the biggest fan of mint. Not wanting to miss out on those Instagram-worthy classic copper cups, I decided to do something about it. After doing some digging and experimenting, I’ve curated a list of non-traditional mules that play on different flavors while still maintaining that classic muddled ginger and citrus base.  

1) Peach Mule 

Ingredients:  

• 1 oz. vodka 

• 1/2 oz. peach schnapps 

• 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier 

• 1/2 ripe peach 

• 1/2 juicy lime 

• 1 can of ginger beer 

This recipe is a fruity, refreshing take on the traditional mule. In a large cocktail shaker muddle four to five lime wedges, half of a diced ripe peach and peach schnapps. Muddle until peaches are completely mashed. Add a handful of crushed ice and one ounce of vodka to shaker. Swirl ingredients for approximately 10 seconds. Pour out contents of shaker into a glass. Add ice. Fill the remainder of the glass with ginger beer, leaving a little bit of room to top with a half ounce of Grand Marnier.  

2) Strawberry Basil Mule  

Ingredients:  

• 5 fresh strawberries 

• 5 fresh basil leaves 

• 1 1/2 oz. vodka 

• 1 oz. of fresh lime juice 

• 1 can of ginger beer 

• Crushed ice 

This is a summery variation, but the combination of strawberry and basil are sweet and refreshing year-round. Muddle strawberries and basil with a splash of the ginger beer and lime juice. Add the vodka and give it a quick stir. Top with plenty of ice and ginger beer. Garnish with strawberries and basil. If you like a sweeter cocktail, add a teaspoon of agave nectar.  

3) Cranberry Moscow Mule  

Ingredients: 

• 3 oz. cranberry juice 

• 2 oz. cranberry vodka 

• 1 oz. lime juice 

• 1 can of ginger beer 

This is a super easy version of the Moscow mule and boasts the perfect winter flavors. Combine cranberry juice, vodka and lime. Pour over ice in a Moscow mule cup and top with ginger beer. Garnish with cranberries, rosemary and an orange slice.  

4) Lavender Moscow Mule 

Ingredients: 

• 1 bottle of ginger beer 

• 1/4 cup vodka 

• 1 1/2 cup water 

• 1/2 cup sugar 

• 2 tbsp. lavender 

• 1 tbsp. lemon juice 

Lavender is one of the most refreshing flavors, so adding it to an already cool, refreshing mule makes sense. Plus, using lavender as an ingredient will immediately impress your friends. Grind lavender in a food processor or blender until it is extremely fine, then set aside. Heat water and sugar in a pot over the stove until sugar is dissolved. While that is heating, combine ginger beer, vodka and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Once the sugar and water have combined to form simple syrup, add the lavender and stir. Add the mixture to the bowl with the other ingredients. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving. 

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.