WBB: Williams, Makurat catch fire in Greenville

0
0
exc-5e2e414ecc015e095585a775

After a rough start in the first half, the UConn Women's Basketball team dominated the second half against Tennessee 60-45. Crystal Dangerfield led the Huskies with 14 points.    Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

After a rough start in the first half, the UConn Women’s Basketball team dominated the second half against Tennessee 60-45. Crystal Dangerfield led the Huskies with 14 points.

Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Christyn Williams and Anna Makurat combined for 50 in UConn’s 98-42 rout of East Carolina Saturday afternoon. 

Williams, typically one of UConn’s (18-1) most steady scorers, shot 11-17, while making three 3-pointers, grabbing five rebounds and dishing four assists. 

Makurat, a freshman who has improved continuously as the season has progressed, got scorching hot towards the middle of the game. After missing her first 3-point attempt, she turned into a human flamethrower and drained her next eight in a row. She finished with a career-high 24 points, shooting all 10 of her attempts from behind the arc. 

UConn pulled away in the second quarter when they went on a 16-1 run. They led 50-21 by halftime behind a whole lot of buckets from Williams. The Huskies managed to take a 79-26 lead after three quarters, thanks to Makurat’s impression of “The Human Torch.” 

Megan Walker was third on the team in points against ECU with 15 and led the Huskies in rebounds with 12. She also had five assists and two steals.  

Aubrey Griffin saw a lot of the court on Saturday, leading the Huskies in minutes played with 33.

Head coach Geno Auriemma opted to play a lot of small-ball with her and Makurat (26 minutes) playing in place of Olivia Nelson-Ododa (13 minutes) and Kyla Irwin (14 minutes). This style of play was effective last week in their win over Tennessee.  

Griffin finished the game with 12 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three blocks, while getting to the free throw line for seven shots. Griffin and Makurat have shined often within the last couple of weeks, and add a new dimension of great depth to the Huskies. Auriemma can be far more creative with lineups and play style when these two freshmen are on their game. 

Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Lashonda Monk led the way for ECU with 17 points on 21 shots, while also stealing the ball five times. Despite the lopsided score, the Pirates actually won the turnover battle 21-17. They just couldn’t capitalize on their extra possessions, shooting 25.7% to UConn’s near 60%. 

The Huskies will play an exhibition game on Monday night against the U.S. Women’s National Team at the XL Center in Hartford. The National Team is chocked full of UConn alumni, so we’ll be in store for a really cool night watching UConn basketball past, present and future. 

After that, UConn plays the first leg of a three-game stretch at Gampel Pavilion with a game against Cincinnati. That game will tip off Thursday at 7 p.m. 

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.