Celeron apartments in process of over $1 million renovation

0
11

Celeron Square Apartments are in the process of renovating bathrooms, study space, kitchens, doors, and parking lots worth over $1 million dollars.  Photo courtesy of    forrent.com

Celeron Square Apartments are in the process of renovating bathrooms, study space, kitchens, doors, and parking lots worth over $1 million dollars. Photo courtesy of forrent.com

Celeron Square Apartments are in the process of completing over $1 million dollars’ worth of renovations, according to property manager Michael Messina. Messina said the renovations to the 20-building, 160-apartment property have been going on since 2015.  

Renovations include the addition of a second sink in apartment bathrooms, a monitored study space, kitchens, exterior doors, parking lot repairs and siding. 

Messina said he believes that this is an ideal spot for off-campus housing or anyone looking for the “transition” into living on their own. 

The property is about three quarters of a mile away from the Storrs campus. The Celeron trail starts at the apartments and ends on Discovery Drive, giving students about a 10-minute walk to campus. Messina said the WRTD bus route stops at Celeron every 40 minutes. 

Messina also emphasized the hands-on management style and the safety of the apartment complex.  

“We know who is here,” Messina said. 

Messina said he walks the property and checks for safety and trash, and the apartments also see UConn police patrolling the property.  

“We are safe, we are secure,” Messina said. “I am pleased to say we are a very safe complex.” 

Messina also added that there are three 24-hour on-call maintenance workers. 

Site monitors are also on hand to “help ensure the safety and security of the property and residents,” according to the property’s website.  

“Parents love to hear me talk about site monitors,” he said. 

Messina said the renovations will continue and they plan to be finished by 2021. These renovations include installing pleak floors in the first floor apartments, replacing the 720 apartment windows and adding a second bathroom to select apartments. 

At the time of publication, 77% of the apartments were leased for the 2020-2021 academic year. 

Messina said they hope in addition to students, they will add professors and families to their leases.   

“We want to be more than student housing and that is my drive,” Messina said.   

He said he hopes to continue to change the culture surrounding the apartments and to help people understand you do not need to be a student to live at Celeron.  

Messina said he believes 100% of the apartments will be leased for the 2020-2021 academic year by the end of the current academic year. 

Messina said there is a fully finished model apartment available for viewing.  

Olivia Hickey is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at olivia.hickey@uconn.edu. She tweets @oliviahickeytv.