Husky on the Road: Boston in the Winter 

0
1

The frigid temperatures in winter can make exploring difficult, but if you’re anything like me, you are more restless and eager to travel than ever. One of my favorite ways to get away is to spend a day in a local city, like Boston. There are so many fun things to do, many of them indoors and out of the cold. Just be sure to wear many layers and comfortable shoes.  

1). Skywalk Observatory 

The Skywalk Observatory is a great way to get a whole new perspective. Ride the elevator to the top of the Prudential center and see the entirety of Boston behind glass walls. The Skywalk Observatory also has historical exhibits about Boston including interactive displays. If you’re there with friends, try playing a round of ISpy when looking down at the city streets. Trust me, it’s not as easy as it sounds. Another awesome feature of the Skywalk Observatory is that they offer a discount for students with a valid ID. 

2). Museum of Fine Arts   

The Museum of Fine Arts is a great place to be inspired by an array of art including textiles, ancient art, American paintings, musical instruments and much more. I recommend picking up paper and a clipboard to sketch some of your favorite masterpieces. Current exhibits include, “Women Take the Floor,” “Hyman Blume: Matters of Life and Death” and “Black Histories, Black Futures.” Be sure to check out the “John Singer Seargent” and “Impressionism and Beyond: Urban Life and Escape” galleries, featuring “one of the largest collections of Monet outside of Paris.” Monet’s use of vivid colors in his impressionist paintings of French gardens and countryside is a great contrast to the gray winter skies.   

3). Faneuil Hall Marketplace 

If you love shopping but want to get out of the snowy streets, take a trip to Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Almost entirely indoors, vendors sell clothing, jewelry, homegoods and souvenirs. There is also a wide variety of food options including Boston Chowda, where you can warm up with a cup of award winning clam chowder. Trust me, the stuff is good. 

4). Boston Public Library  

The Boston Public Library is a bit larger than Homer Babbidge. This is a great stop to sit down and unwind among an impressive collection of books and art. You can take a tour of the art and architecture or explore this impressive building on your own. Feel free to pick up a favorite book and stay for a while. 

5). The New England Aquarium 

If you feel like visiting the ocean but want to avoid the frigid winter water and wind, this is a fun place to visit. Aquariums aren’t just for little kids, and the New England Aquarium has a lot of great exhibits like Penguins, The Indo-Pacific Coral Reef and The Science of Sharks. The New England Aquarium is also active in marine conservation and educating the community on climate change, which is awesome. 

These are just a few of the many excellent destinations to visit in Boston this winter, and I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and into the city! Make the day even more special with a ticket to a concert or a Boston Celtics game. Remember, just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you’re limited to the couch and Netflix. There are lots of great ways to get out and see the world this winter.  

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @mfaboston on Instagram.

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu