Roundtable: Favorite Super Bowl Prop Bets

0
1
exc-5e324d736fd544780ffd18d2

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes speaks during a news conference on Wednesday in Aventura, Fla., for the Super Bowl. They will take on the San Francisco 49ers in Miami on Sunday.  Photo of Brynn Anderson/AP Photo

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes speaks during a news conference on Wednesday in Aventura, Fla., for the Super Bowl. They will take on the San Francisco 49ers in Miami on Sunday. Photo of Brynn Anderson/AP Photo

The pinnacle of the NFL season, the Super Bowl, is also regarded as a day for making — or losing — lots of money. Bettors can gamble on almost every aspect of the game, from the coin toss and the length of the halftime performance to the color of the winning coach’s Gatorade shower. Those who decide to wager their hard-earned cash stand to win plenty or lose $4 million like one unfortunate soul last year. The DC Sports staff breaks down its favorite prop bets ahead of Sunday’s game. 

Jorge Eckardt 

My Super Bowl prop bet doesn’t actually have to do with the Super Bowl itself, instead, it’s about the famous Puppy Bowl. The Puppy Bowl, which can be watched on Animal Planet at 3 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday, is an annual game between two teams of dogs that are sometimes playing with a toy football but mainly goofing around and just having a grand ole time. It’s exhilarating, so what can be better than betting on it? Well, then I’ve got the prop bet for you: Will Mike Vick tweet about the puppy bowl? Yeah, that’s a thing. If you know, you know. If not, I envy you. 

Matt Severino 

After digging around in the depths of the internet, I can confidently say I have found the most ridiculous yet intriguing prop bets the gambling world could offer for the Super Bowl.  Only once in professional football history has a team ended the game having scored exactly four points. Nearly 100 years ago, the Racine Legion defeated the Chicago Cardinals 10-4 on Nov. 25, 1923. William Hill Sports Book is, for some unknown reason, offering you the opportunity to predict it to happen again. And the odds are astounding (+999900). The idea of wagering $100 with the very, very slim chance of going to bed with $1 million is pretty difficult to wrap your head around. Shockingly, this has never happened in a Super Bowl and hopefully never will.  

Sean Janos 

Vegas is so good at setting odds, why NOT bet the coin toss? Oddsmakers are so good at their jobs that point spreads and over-unders are just as 50-50 as coin tosses. Now, which side of the coin will face up? You can complicate things and look at the trends. Super Bowls XLIII through XLVII were all heads. Super Bowls XLVIII through LIII were all tails with the exception of Super Bowl LII, but that Super Bowl was fluky in every other aspect as well. So the complicated route tells you to ride tails. Or you can do what I do and not overcomplicate it with a simple motto I live by: Tails never fails.

The Daily Campus Sports Section – Can be reached at sports@dailycampus.com