Keep up with the trends with ‘Next in Fashion’

0
2
exc-5e337e88f5f0e578c8253215

Netflix’s newest series “Next in Fashion” hosted by Tan France and Alexa Chung is highly recommended for every fashion-lover.  Photo courtesy of     dailydot.com

Netflix’s newest series “Next in Fashion” hosted by Tan France and Alexa Chung is highly recommended for every fashion-lover. Photo courtesy of dailydot.com

I’m a sucker for competition shows, but mostly those of the food or beauty kind (sorry, fans of “The Bachelor”). Other kinds of reality competition series have a bit too much drama for my liking, but drama surrounding a soggy pie bottom is right up my alley. I could binge “Chopped,” “Great British Bake-Off” or “Project Runway” for hours. In fact, that’s exactly what my family and I did over winter break. When we saw that Netflix had released a new competition show with makeup artists, “Glow Up,” we finished the season in two days. So when I saw that Netflix was releasing a new “Project Runway”-esque series, I immediately added to my list. And once I saw that the judges of “Next in Fashion” were Tan France and Alexa Chung, I literally called my mother and told her to watch the series when it premiered on Wednesday. Thankfully, I wasn’t let down by the Netflix Original series. “Next in Fashion” offers a similar level of fashion talent and inspiration as “Project Runway,” without completely mimicking its set-up and challenges. 

Tan France, most famously known as “Queer Eye”’s clothing expert, and Alexa Chung, model and fashion designer, are charmingly charismatic, but also fiercely knowledgable. Luckily, the contestants of “Next in Fashion” don’t go it alone: Designers and stylists work in pairs, whether it be a long-established partnership or something more recent. Along with guest judges, France and Chung decide on the best and worst creations of every week, as well as which team to eliminate after the episode-end catwalk show. 

The challenges weren’t necessarily as out there as “Project Runway”’s prompts to create looks with unconventional materials. However, that doesn’t mean the designers weren’t tested and that it wasn’t entertaining to watch. If anything, if you usually are turned off by the eccentricity of the couture that is usually presented in “Project Runway,” some more stomachable themes like red carpet, suits and lingerie will allow you to appreciate the teams’ creativity while still being applicable to your own fashion sense. Similarly, the show format may seem a little stagnant or cookie cutter, with seemingly straight-forward challenges and elimination. However, that makes the show all the more easy continue watching. 

The contestants themselves are all interesting to get to know over the course of the series, and 10 episodes is the perfect length to become invested in their performance without feeling bogged down in the details. They’ve all had considerable experience in the industry, like working as “ghost designers” for celebrities and established labels. According to The Guardian, “only one [contestant] does not have their own label yet.” The prize for the competition is a $250,000 investment in the winning designer’s brand, as well as the chance to sell their works through Net-a-Porter. 

“Next in Fashion” is highly binge-able, isn’t bogged down by drama and offers some pretty impressive stylistic creations. If you want to keep with the trends, add this series to your queue. 

Rating: 4.5/5 

Thumbnail courtesy of Variety.com

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.