Every year, the Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) hosts the spring concert, UCONNIC. The name came from a SUBOG Concert meeting in 2018 when the team was brainstorming ideas for a music festival for the University of Connecticut. The concert consists of a couple of artists from various genres. SUBOG recently put out a survey for students to vote on who they want to see perform in the concert.
The survey was made available through Instagram and email on Jan. 21. The survey asks students their name and year of study along with their favorite musical genres. Options for openers ranged from Denzel Curry and Tierra Whack to Ari Lennox and Pop Smoke. There is also a breakdown of the budget for UCONNIC 2020. The total cost is estimated to be $320,000, with $100,000-125,000 going to the headliner and $25,000-50,000 going to the opening acts.
Looking at SUBOG’s Instagram post for the survey, students suggested many artists for this year’s concert. Artists like Young Boy Never Broke Again and Playboi Carti were suggested in the comments section of the post.
“We put together the surveys together as a committee. We consult all of our committee members when forming the questions and choices that we include on the survey, as well as our executive board. It’s a team effort” Jacob Stockman, SUBOG Concert Chair, said.
“This year we have done our best to give as many artist options as possible on the surveys,” Stockman said about the artists on the survey. “We include names based on their price and availability at the time we are putting it together. If they are an artist that we can afford, and that is doing college shows specifically, we include them in the survey.”
UCONNIC was first introduced in 2018 as a festival that includes music, dance, art and fashion. In its first year, the concert was headlined by Khalid and in the following year, Lil Baby was the main act. Prices for last year’s festival ranged from $25 for upper level seats and $75 for floor seats. Around 2,000 people attended the festival. UCONNIC received backlash after booking Sean Kinston for the 2019 festival. According to Billboard.com, Kingston was accused by Carissa Capeloto of an alleged sexual assault in 2010 in his hotel room. Kingston was pulled off the lineup after student protests and tickets were refunded.
Last year’s concert also saw one of the opening acts, Summer Walker, not performing due to bad weather.
For more information regarding UCONNIC, follow @uconnicmusicfest and @subogatuconn on Instagram for updates about the festival. You can also visit SUBOG’s office at the Student Union at Room 307 or call them at 860-486-3904. Meetings regarding concerts are at SU Room 304 on Wednesdays between 5 and 6 p.m.
Ian Ward is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org