Changes coming to pharmacy studies major enrollment

0
0
exc-5e33856be051ef5d566585a1

UConn’s School of Pharmacy building. The School of Pharmacy will change their format for how students become Pharmacy majors in the 2020-2021 year.    Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

UConn’s School of Pharmacy building. The School of Pharmacy will change their format for how students become Pharmacy majors in the 2020-2021 year.

Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

Beginning in the fall semester of the 2020-2021 school year, students enrolling at the University of Connecticut as a pharmacy studies major will automatically be enrolled in the UConn Pharmacy School’s bachelor of science (B.S.) pharmacy program, School of Pharmacy Communications Director Karin Whiting Burgess said. 

“All B.S. students will still need to apply to the professional (Pharm.D.) program in the second semester of their sophomore year,” Whiting Burgess said.  “This will involve application via the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) and an interview at the school.” 

Currently, the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) is required to be taken by all students seeking enrollment by the end of January, the UConn Pharmacy department website said.  This will change beginning next school year, according to Whiting Burgess. 

“Pharmacy College Admission Test scores are not required with application to the professional program if a student began at UConn as a freshman, has completed the outlined pre-professional plan of study and maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all pre-professional and math courses (3.4 GPA requirement if honors),” Whiting Burgess said.  “Students transferring to UConn into the B.S. Pharmacy Studies program or not maintaining the benchmark GPA can still apply to the professional program, but will need to submit a PCAT score as part of the application process.” 

In 2018, Pharmaceutical Science majors had a placement rate of 100%, according to the UConn Pharmacy department website.  A year later, in 2019, 96% of UConn Pharmacy students graduated on time. 

According to the department website, admission is based on math/science prerequisite GPA, academic record, PCAT score, non-academic experiences, service and outreach, recommendations and personal statements and the interview with the department. 

UConn’s Pharmacy department has been in existence for nearly 100 years, the website said. 

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu