The Undertow: Aido Bello is staking its claim as the sound of Storrs

0
0
exc-5e38ce2922d3a73b9b7fd33b

If you’ve been to a party this year, you’ve likely heard “Aido Bello.” Aidan Gaffney (Aido) and Anthony Bellody (Bello) joined forces late last year to create the pop-rap outfit, and their few singles have gained steady rotation at weekend parties. Namely, the bouncy “Love Me Not” has gathered a combined 13,000 plays on Soundcloud and Spotify. On Saturday, I went up to Husky Village to hear what they had to say about their newfound success on campus, how they got here and what they have next.  

So how did you get started? 

Aido: We both made music individually, before we started to make music together. I was called Aido, he was called Bello, and we were like, wait, “Aido Bello, that kind of sounds fire.” We released “Love Me Not” under his name saying Bello featuring Aido, and we thought why not just make it Aido Bello.  

You’ve gotten a lot of local play recently, do you think the majority of that is from here?  

Bello: Statistically, the most is from Storrs. We’re in Greek Life, and when we first released [Love Me Not], it got plays at parties here and became a good platform. 

Do you think people are looking forward to the upcoming single? 

B: We haven’t really told anyone yet. We’re actually going to do a photo shoot [Sunday] on campus for it.  

A: We’re just going to be taking cool pictures in front of the modern looking buildings. 

Where do you guys record? 

B: My room. We have some good equipment, but we actually have a really close friend who also makes music. 

A: He’s really good at mixing, which is something that I can’t do – I make all the beats, I get all the recordings down, but the only thing I can’t do is to make sure it sounds good, in terms of balancing with other tracks and everything. We try to hit up other people to do the really technical stuff. 

What’s the general feedback you’ve gotten from the UConn community about your work? 

B: It’s been overall pretty good, much better than my hometown. 

Where are you from? 

A: I’m from Madison. 

B: South Windsor.  

Would you guys be interested in playing UCONNIC or any other SUBOG event? 

A: Yeah, we go to the entertainment group meetings. We did a show at Tavern last month, or November. 

B: Early November? 

A: Yeah, like two to three months ago.  

B: Fun time.  

A: It went pretty well. I wish they let more people in. 

B: They were kicking everyone out.  

That’s tough. Tavern concerts can get really crowded, and you have to leave this bubble for the band. 

A: They capped it at 100 people. They were buckling down, pretty annoying.  

What’s your creative process like? Like “Love Me Not,” for example, how did you start that? 

B: “Love Me Not” was kind of like, was that syllabus week? 

A: It was early. 

B: I’m pretty sure it was syllabus week. 

Last semester? 

A: Last semester, yeah. We just hopped in and I was like, “Yo, let’s make some music,” and I was playing these chords, and it kind of sounded like – what’s that Magical Mystery Tour Beatles song? “Strawberry Fields Forever!” 

Oh, yeah. 

B: So we just put the drums down and everything. And he came up with “I wish she do,” which wasn’t originally supposed to be the hook, it was going to be my verse. The hook was going to be “She don’t love me, she don’t love me, yeah she love me not,” and could you think how boring that could have been? So we did that, and everything sort of came together. 

A: Sometimes I’ll just be in my bed at like two in the morning thinking of a melody, and I’ll just put it in my voice memos, and we’d try to mess with it and make a beat out of it. That’s what we did for our next song, “Cartier.” That song’s gonna blow up, too. 

So once you released “Love Me Not”, how did you get it circulating?  

A: We threw it on at parties. 

B: It was good to see that people knew the words as well. Also, we have our own Instagram account. We post stories on there, or even actual promos for an upcoming music video, for example.  

Are you guys trying to get your stuff out to any local colleges, like Eastern Connecticut State University or the University of Hartford? 

A: Eastern would be cool. There’s a guy featured on our song “Cartier” coming out soon, and he’s like owning Eastern right now. He’s doing a lot of shows there, his name is Zack Kindall. He’s running the game there, it seems like. He [has] like, 4,300 followers, or something. 

Damn. Eastern’s not that big, that’s pretty impressive.   

A: I know, right? Also, Nick Rose is someone we work with. He produces some stuff, but yeah, we usually just collab. He masters it, makes it sound good. He’s dope.  

B: If we do the SUBOG thing, we definitely want to partner up with him.  

That’s about all I wanted to cover. Did you guys want to mention anything else? 

A: Definitely make sure everyone’s ready for the “Cartier” single. It’s gonna take off. We’ve got a few others coming, too. If we do promo right, and everything goes smoothly, we should be gaining more popularity soon. 

B: We’re excited. We’re excited for everyone to hear what we’ve got. Because I don’t think they’ve heard half of what we’ve got yet. 

Where can people find your music? 

B: So right now it’s mainly Soundcloud. We are on Spotify, but we have one other song on Soundcloud. “Cartier” is going to be out on all platforms, and should be coming out in two and a half weeks. Tentative date. 

A: Whenever the mix comes in! 

Aido Bello’s music can be found on SoundCloud and Spotify. They’re also on Instagram @aidobello, where you can get updates on what they’ll do next. 

Daniel Cohn is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.cohn@uconn.edu.