Oscars Drinking Game

0
5

Oscar statues stand off of Hollywood Boulevard in preparation for Sunday's 92nd Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre, Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Oscar statues stand off of Hollywood Boulevard in preparation for Sunday’s 92nd Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre, Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

The 92nd Academy Awards are upon us. The show airs this Sunday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. EST on ABC. Coming off the high of Super Bowl Sunday and right before Valentine’s Day, the Oscars offer the perfect excuse to drink (not that most of us need one). Here, we offer an Academy Awards drinking game for your viewing party pleasure. You’ll also find a few Oscars-themed drink recipes below if you really want to get into the spirit. Please drink responsibly! 

The Rules: 

• Sip when someone goes over their allotted time giving a repetitive speech about a social issue 

• Sip every time they mention “The Irishman”  

• Drink every time they mention the fact that there’s no host (we GET it) 

• Drink when a minority actor or director gets snubbed 

• Drink when you correctly predict a winner 

• Drink when you incorrectly predict a winner 

• Take a shot if a white man is praised for wearing a colorful suit on the red carpet 

• Take a shot if all the nominees for a category are men 

• Take a shot if “Hair Love” wins Best Short Film (animated) 

• Chug if a Florence Pugh movie loses 

• Chug if “Parasite” loses 

• Chug if “Marriage Story” wins ANYTHING 

• Finish your drink if Leonardo DiCaprio loses to Adam Driver for Best Actor in a Leading Role 

• Finish your drink if “Joker” wins Best Picture (get another drink if you forgot “Joker” came out this year) 

If you want to spice things up with your friends during your viewing party, place bets (a number of drinks) at the beginning of the show for who will win Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role, Best Actor/Actress in a Supporting Role and Best Cinematography (the biggest awards of the night). Whoever voted on losing actors or movies will have to take the predetermined amount of drinks.  

Themed Drinks: 

The Golden One: A raspberry lemon rose sparkling vodka drink. Muddle four raspberries in the bottom of mixing glass. Add ice, 1 3/4 ounces of vodka, 3/4 ounce of fresh lemon sour and 1/4 ounce of rose liqueur. Cap, shake and strain into a chilled glass, then pour in 1 ounce of sparkling wine and 2 ounces of club soda. Garnish with a raspberry and gold flakes. 

Golden Ticket: A honey lemon tequila cocktail. Combine 1/2 ounce of tequila, 1/2 ounce of mezcal, 1 ounce of honey syrup and 1 ounce of lemon juice. Shake and strain over ice cubes into highball glass. Add 2 dashes of bitters on top and garnish with a lemon wedge. 

Golden Holiday: A simple gin and tonic. Add ice to a glass, pour in 2 ounces of gin then 4 ounces of tonic water. Garnish with golden-dusted cranberry balls (make with gold flakes). 

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.