HomeSportsRoundtable: Favorite Super Bowl Commercial

Roundtable: Favorite Super Bowl Commercial

TurboTax shows a scene from the company's 2020 Super Bowl NFL commercial aired Sunday.  Photo courtesy of TurboTax via AP Photo

TurboTax shows a scene from the company’s 2020 Super Bowl NFL commercial aired Sunday. Photo courtesy of TurboTax via AP Photo

The Super Bowl is an event that captivates the entire nation for one reason or another. For the football fans, it’s the pinnacle of a long, 17-week regular season with the champion crowned by the game’s end. For others, the halftime show may be the main appeal. But what we can all agree on is that the commercials are worth the watch. The DC Sports staff discusses which company best spent its millions and millions of dollars on a 30-second time slot. 

Danny Barletta 

Is this even a question? Hyundai’s “Smaht Pahk” commercial was far and away the best commercial of the Super Bowl (although Tom Brady’s Hulu one was great too). Look at the star power in this commercial: John Krasinski from “The Office,” “Saturday Night Live’s” Rachel Dratch, future Baseball Hall of Famer David Ortiz and Captain America himself, Chris Evans. As someone who is a Boston area native, I have a special appreciation for this commercial. My home town of Saugus even gets a shoutout when they’re naming all the places Krasinski has “pahked his cah.” I think the fake Boston accent can be a bit overdone at times, but for comedic purposes, this commercial absolutely killed it. Even when the Patriots aren’t in the Super Bowl, Boston is still well represented. Love to see it. 

Ben Berg  

If you’re going to have an ad in the Super Bowl, you better make it funny. That being said, the Rocket Mortgage/Jason Mamoa collaboration was absolutely top-notch. Seeing the former “Game of Thrones” and “Aquaman” star rip off his muscles to reveal a scrawny average joe so he could let his guard down and relax was hilarious and unexpected. To top it off, they showed the “real” Mamoa struggling to bench press an empty bar as he called for help. There were a number of great ads from Sunday night’s contest (Hyundai’s “Smaht Pahk” and Jeep’s Groundhog Day come to mind), but Rocket Mortgage won the night for me.  

Sean Janos 

I absolutely loved the TurboTax commercial with the super catchy song and hilarious dance. It had all of the ingredients of a Super Bowl commercial that gets stuck in your head for weeks to come. The lyrics to the song include super easy instructions on how to do your taxes using their mobile app. The most genius part of it is that TurboTax knows we all just got mailed our W-2 forms, so now they’re trying to make “all people tax people” from now until April 15.  

Kevin Arnold 

Associate Sports Editor 

There were plenty of great commercials this year, more than in recent years, but my favorite was targeted for the 21-plus crowd. Post Malone, a known Bud Light enthusiast, partnered with the company for a pretty funny ad for their new seltzers. He stands in a convenience store debating if he should get regular Bud Light or the seltzers, and it zooms to inside his brain where his left and right brain battle it out. They fling Post back and forth, flying into the shelves, making a huge mess before they remember just how rich the rapper is and decide to get both. The best part was the ending line. Standing amidst a mess of chips and pretzel bags, Post asks, “Got any pretzels?” I’m not sure the ad will convince me to try the seltzers (haven’t heard great things), but it was definitely my favorite this year.

The Daily Campus Sports Section – Can be reached at sports@dailycampus.com