Moonlight Breakfast leaves some hungry for more

0
0
exc-5e3cc1789af3cb44f6d4f7ea

SUBOG partnered with UConn dining and Any Excuse For a Party to provide students with a relaxing night full of massages, games and breakfast foods.  Photo by Hanaisha Lewis/The Daily Campus

SUBOG partnered with UConn dining and Any Excuse For a Party to provide students with a relaxing night full of massages, games and breakfast foods. Photo by Hanaisha Lewis/The Daily Campus

A long line formed outside of the Student Union Ballroom late Wednesday night. Excited undergrads lined up for Student Union Board of Governors’ Moonlight Breakfast, kicking off this year’s Winter Weekend.  

Of course, the most important feature of any Moonlight Breakfast is the food. Options like scones, fresh fruit, potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles and pancakes were laid out on a buffet table. The pancakes and waffles were among the most popular items, and both ran out quickly. SUBOG also served several drinks: Regular and decaf coffee, orange juice and lemon water were all available for students to pour themselves.  

Some students who didn’t show up right when the event started expressed disappointment at the lack of food later in the night. 

“I think we just expected more food here, since it just started and it said it’s supposed to be until 2 a.m., so we just figured that they would be serving food until that time,” Natasha Silva, a second-semester human rights and political science double major, said. 

Photo by Hanaisha Lewis/The Daily Campus

Although the food went quickly, there was plenty of other fun to be had at Moonlight Breakfast. SUBOG ran giveaways and raffles at the door, and every student who checked in to the event could spin a wheel to win a T-shirt, lip balm or surprise. There was also a raffle every hour where SUBOG selected one student from a bowl to win a gift card to places like Insomnia Cookies and Dunkin’ Donuts.  

SUBOG focused their efforts on creating a space for students to relax and have fun while eating a late-night breakfast. A gaming station allowed students to play against one another. Board games like Operation, Sorry and Battleship were scattered around the tables so that friend groups could get competitive with one another.  

Students could also try out several relaxation activities. There were full-body massage chairs, foot massagers and back massagers that students could use, though there were only two of each for a large crowd of students. On another side of the room were hand massages. Students could put on aromatherapy lotion and place their hands in massage gloves. Additionally, there was a station where students could dip their hands in paraffin wax. This station took a bit of time to set up, and several students who really wanted to try it remained waiting patiently in line.  

At the start of the night, popular music played over the speakers, but as the night got later, SUBOG started a screening of “Good Boys,” a comedy about three twelve-year-old boys who are invited to their first kissing party.  

Many students liked the activities and tried out all the different massages.  

“We did the massage chairs too. That was fun,” Olivia Allert, a fourth-semester nursing major, said.  

Allert and her friend Marisa Padelli, also a second-semester nursing major, were using the foot massagers when asked for a comment. They said they got food before partaking in the relaxation activities. Allert said she was let down by the lack of certain foods but she was still able to put a positive spin on the night. 

“I was kind of disappointed though. There was no waffles,” Allert said. “But this [the foot massager] is nice, this is making up for it.” 

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu