Tennis: Huskies look to capitalize on busy weekend

0
1
exc-5e3cc4452875eb214952e3f9

The men's tennis team lost to Marist on Saturday 2-5. The Huskies will be playing in the American Athletic Conference Championship starting on 4/18.   Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The men’s tennis team lost to Marist on Saturday 2-5. The Huskies will be playing in the American Athletic Conference Championship starting on 4/18.

Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s tennis team will travel to New Jersey this weekend as they take on Seton Hall on Friday and NJIT on Saturday. Meanwhile, the men’s team will try to get their season back on track with matches at Fairfield on Saturday and Fordham Sunday.  

The women’s team (1-0) comes into their Friday matchup with Seton Hall with a 6-0 lifetime record against the 1-1 Pirates. In their previous meetings, the Huskies have won 28 of a possible 42 sets. Last weekend Seton Hall beat Binghamton 4-0 and lost to Georgetown 0-4.  

Saturday’s 11 a.m. contest will be the first-ever meeting between UConn and NJIT (2-1). The Highlanders began their season with a pair of 7-0 victories over Sacred Heart and Fairleigh Dickinson University before losing to Penn 2-5 this past weekend.  

Currently on a five-game losing streak, the UConn men’s team (1-6) is looking to steer the young season back in the right direction. They will travel to Trumbull on Saturday to take on Fairfield (3-2) at 5 p.m. The Huskies hold a 4-6 lifetime record against the Stags and won their previous matchup 4-2 a year ago. Fairfield began their 2020 season with three straight victories before losing their previous two matches to Fordham and Brown.  

On Sunday, the men will host Fordham (2-2) at 1 p.m. at the Tennis and Fitness Center of Rocky Hill. UConn has only faced the Rams once before, and they lost that match 6-1 back in 2018. This season, Fordham lost to Davidson and Brown but defeated Fairfield and Bucknell to give the Rams a 2-2 record overall.  

Ben Berg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ben.berg@uconn.edu. He tweets @bergywergy3030.