Women’s Hockey skates to Burlington in search for consistency

0
1
exc-5e3cc36c9d7664785e957191

The Women's Hockey team defeated the Maine Black Bears 2-1 this past Friday at the Freitas Ice Forum, snapping a three-game losing streak while also snagging two Hockey East points. The Huskies would then go on the following day to beat Maine again, with the score 5-2.   Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

The Women’s Hockey team defeated the Maine Black Bears 2-1 this past Friday at the Freitas Ice Forum, snapping a three-game losing streak while also snagging two Hockey East points. The Huskies would then go on the following day to beat Maine again, with the score 5-2.

Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

The UConn Women’s Hockey team started the 2019-20 campaign on fire, racking up wins against ranked opponents. From the Nutmeg Classic in November onwards, the Huskies have been very streak-y. A loss has been followed by one or two more and the same can be said for a win. UConn is going into this weekend’s double header in Burlington against Vermont looking for consistent positive results.  

UConn won both in their last double header two weekends ago in Freitas against Maine. Last weekend, they lost their third game in the last month to Northeastern. Before tying Providence on Saturday.  

Similar to Northeastern, Vermont is an opponent UConn has seen before all the way back in November. The two played to a 2-2 draw with the Huskies taking the lead twice through Natalie Snodgross and Catherine Crawley, but Vermont answered both times.  

UConn has fared better than Vermont since that meeting, as the Catamounts come into this matchup with a 9-13-7 record. Similar to the Huskies, Vermont struggled in a recent double header against Northeastern, falling in both games by a combined score of 14-2. Vermont’s defense has been suspect for most of the season and a Snodgrass led forward line should be able to exploit that.  

It’s not too soon to call at least one of these games a “must win” for the Huskies as the Hockey East standings are starting to come together. Northeastern has ran away with the conference sitting at 20-2 in conference, but with a hot streak in the last couple weeks, UConn can very possibly surpass BU, BC, or Providence who lay only a game or two ahead of the Huskies in the 2-4 spots.  

This late Hockey East push to become one of the top seeds come tournament time is something UConn is absolutely capable of. That starts this Friday at 6 p.m. in Burlington followed by a 4 p.m. matinee on Saturday.  

Tamir March is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tamir.march@uconn.edu.