One ton of fun at Winter Weekend

0
2

Students were dedicated enough to brave the weather and wait of this year’s One Ton Sundae were recognized around campus bearing the bright turquoise Winter Weekend buckets for the event’s 41st anniversary, envied by all who laid eyes on their collection of Dairy Bar flavors. Chilly temperatures and rain weren’t enough to stop the droves of people who queued up for the annual event on Friday. The signature event of the Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) Winter Weekend attracted a line that wrapped around the Student Union Terrace and almost reached the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts for the chance to fill up a tub of delicious Dairy Bar ice cream.  

Students gathered on the Student Union Terrace to participate in the annual One Ton Sunday hosted by SUBOG. For only a dollar students filled an entire bucket with ice cream and toppings.   Photo by Sofia Langou/The Daily Campus

Students gathered on the Student Union Terrace to participate in the annual One Ton Sunday hosted by SUBOG. For only a dollar students filled an entire bucket with ice cream and toppings.

Photo by Sofia Langou/The Daily Campus

“This was my first time going, but I’ve always wanted to,” Stephen Tiberio, a sixth-semester management information systems major, said. “Although I waited in line for a few hours, I thought the experience was worth it once I was handed a scooper and saw all the ice cream.” 

This year, SUBOG promoted a loyalty program with a “Senior Skip the Line Pass.” Seniors were encouraged to email SUBOG with a photo from the event or with their One Ton Sundae from freshman year. This was changed from the requirement of photos from freshman, sophomore and junior year, to make the program more accessible for students. 

“We got here at like 9:15,” Madison Levine, a sixth-semester biology secondary education major, said. She and the friend she was in line with, Danielle Costa, a sixth-semester elementary education major, were one of the many students who had lined up earlier than the event’s start time at 11 a.m.  “I haven’t heard [what the Senior Scoop] is, but I’m still excited to try it.” 

Photo by Sofia Langou/The Daily Campus

“This is my first time,” Costa said. She and Levine expressed a desire to go to One Ton Sundae this year, as next year they will not be able to attend because they will be student teaching. “I love ice cream. Peanut butter chocolate is my favorite Dairy Bar flavor.“

As students approached the front booth before scooping their ice cream, they were handed a Winter Weekend bucket and metal spoon and directed to one of two boats filled with either nut-free ice cream for those with allergies and another with a mix of flavors. Students chose from Dairy Bar favorites such as toasted almond amaretto, coffee espresso crunch, black raspberry and banana chocolate chip. As the event wore on, some flavors began to run out, but most attendees were able to scoop up some delicious combinations.  

“I got Husky Tracks, coffee espresso crunch, cookie dough and almond,” Tiberio said. He had stood in line from 11 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. “It was a good mix of flavors, but I didn’t go for any fruit ones. My favorite flavor from the Dairy Bar has got to be the signature Husky Tracks, and I was bummed they didn’t have the banana chocolate chip flavor.” 

This year’s Senior Scoop, “You Matter Cake Batter,” made with cake batter ice cream, mocha fudge swirl and brownie pieces, debuted for the first time at the event. The flavor was named by Lily DeBlasio and created by Brianna Kinnie, Daniel Barry, Benjamin Hood and Anusha Vissapragada. 

“It’s my last year here, so I wanted to try it, see what the hype’s about,”  Ireoluwatomiwa Opayemi, an eighth-semester molecular and cellular major, said. He had been lined up for One Ton Sundae since 9 a.m. with Elyssa Alber, an eighth-semester physiology and neurobiology major, and Tiffany Cheung, a physiology and neurobiology major. “I don’t know why it’s outside, it’s really, really cold, but the rest of it’s cool. You stand in line, talk with your friends, get some ice cream.” 

Other Winter Weekend events included Moonlight Breakfast earlier in the week, a ski trip to Butternut Mountain over the weekend and a livestream of the Oscars last night.  

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.