Tennis Recap: Women split on the road while men continue to struggle

0
0
exc-5e40cb132c1d2d7368487fcf

While the women came out on top, the men’s tennis team lost their sixth straight match, this time losing five of six games against Fairfield University.   File Photo / The Daily Campus.

While the women came out on top, the men’s tennis team lost their sixth straight match, this time losing five of six games against Fairfield University. File Photo / The Daily Campus.

Friday night the women’s tennis team used an important doubles point to rally past the Seton Hall Pirates for a 4-3 victory.  

The Huskies’ No. 1 team of senior Cassie Chung and sophomore Mireille Moreau opened the doubles matches with a 6-3 win over Hermehr Kaur and Aina Plana Ventosa of Seton Hall.  

To clinch the opening point for the Huskies, the No. 2 duo of sophomore Luciana Rabines and freshman Denise Lai won 6-4 over Minja Gligic and Hiba El Khalfi.  

In singles, Moreau, Lai and freshman Doga Selen Takunyaci each won their matches to give UConn the 4-3 win and a 2-0 start to their season.  

“Today was an exciting match, and a great victory for our program,” UConn director of tennis, Glenn Marshall, said afterwards. “We won the doubles point, and that proved to be the difference.”  

After a gutsy win on Friday, the women faltered on Saturday, losing 4-0 to NJIT. They lost the doubles point and all three singles points that followed. However, despite it not affecting the score, the junior-freshman combo of Elizabeth Kozyi and Takunyaci won a 7-5 doubles match against NJIT’s Adara Omar and Advaita Saravanan.  

After the match, Marshall lauded his team’s effort despite the lopsided score. “It was a tough day, but we fought all the way,” Marshall said. The women now sit at 2-1 on the season.  

The men traveled to Trumbull, Connecticut to take on Fairfield on Saturday. Saturday’s contest saw the men lose the doubles point before losing five of six of the singles points to hand them a 1-7 record and their sixth straight defeat.  

Their lone victory on the day came from the No. 5 singles spot where freshman Nicholas Gore (Kingston, Jamaica) beat Fairfield’s Allan Magid 2-0 in the best-of-three set.  

Next weekend the women’s team will travel to Philadelphia to take on Drexel and Temple while the men will face Hofstra on the road before hosting Siena on Sunday.  

Ben Berg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ben.berg@uconn.edu. He tweets @bergywergy3030.