Women’s Hockey: UConn splits weekend series with Vermont 

0
2
exc-5e40be57c0b9914844463a25

UConn women’s hockey won both of their games against Vermont this weekend. After going winless against Northeastern and Providence, they are back in the win column.  Photo by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

UConn women’s hockey won both of their games against Vermont this weekend. After going winless against Northeastern and Providence, they are back in the win column. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

UConn both won and lost a game against Vermont this weekend as the Huskies once again were unable to find a consistent level of play and sustain it over multiple games. 

UConn (15-13-2) came into their matchup Friday against Vermont looking to get back into the win column after losing to Northeastern and tying with Providence last weekend. This season has been very up and down for the team. There have been plenty of examples of how good this team can be, like their wins over Boston College, but on the flip side, there are plenty of examples of the inconsistency that has haunted this team all year long. For example, look no further than the three-game losing streak where the Huskies were unable to score a goal. This weekend’s matchups against Vermont gave UConn a chance to gain the momentum they need heading into the last couple weeks of the season.   

Vermont (10-14-7) has had a rough season, having played in a ton of close games, and they are leading Women’s Hockey East in games tied this season. The Catamounts are not lacking in experience when it comes to playing in close games. 

The first game this weekend between the two took place on Saturday. Both teams were active on the offensive end early, taking five shots each in the first eight minutes of the first period.  UConn, however, would strike first, scoring a goal eight and a half minutes into the period to take a 1-0 lead. Natalie Snodgrass scored the goal, her 11th of the season, with an assist from Catherine Crawley.   

The Huskies had another opportunity to score not long after when they were given a power play opportunity, but were unable to score off it. Vermont got their own power play opportunity in the first period as well, successfully capitalizing on it to tie the game at 1-1 a little over midway through the period. Theresa Schafzahl scored the goal for Vermont. 

Neither team scored again in the first and the game remained tied at 1-1 going into the second period.  The second period would belong to UConn, as the Huskies were able to dominate on both ends. On defense, the Huskies gave up ten shots, but they did not allow Vermont to score. On offense, UConn was able to score two goals, the first giving them a 2-1 lead, and the second brining it to 3-1. Briana Colangelo scored the first of UConn’s goals in the second period, and Crawley scored the second. It was Colangelo’s seventh goal of the year and Crawley’s 11th. 

The Huskies looked strong in both games, scoring 10 goals while allowing just four.  Photo by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

The Huskies looked strong in both games, scoring 10 goals while allowing just four. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk / The Daily Campus.

UConn took this 3-1 lead into the third period. Vermont would not wait long to start their comeback attempt, scoring a goal three minutes into the start of the period. Schafzahl scored the goal, her second of the game, to cut UConn’s lead to one at 3-2.   

The Huskies quickly responded with their own goal two minutes later to increase their lead to 4-2. Emily Reid scored the goal for the Huskies, her fourth of the season. Viki Harkness and Leona Sim assisted on the play. 

The Catamounts still found themselves with plenty of time to try and pull off the comeback. They would end up taking 16 total shots in the period. Unfortunately for them, it would not matter how many shots they took as they were unable to score, and UConn came away with the 4-2 victory. 

Game two of the weekend would not be the same as the night before. Vermont got the scoring started in game two, scoring their first goal of the game three minutes in. Alyssa Holmes scored the goal for the Catamounts, setting the tone early that this would be a different game. 

UConn responded a minute later with their own goal. Coryn Tormala scored the goal, her third of the year. Danielle Fox and Claire Peterson assisted on the play. 

The Huskies would not score again in the first period. Vermont, however, would. They scored late in the period to take a 2-1 lead, which would be the score heading into the second period. Val Caldwell scored the goal.  

Vermont carried their momentum from the first period into the second period, as they would go on to score two goals in the second period. Their first goal came a little over a minute into the period, and it was scored by Schafzahl. Her goal increased the team’s lead to 3-1. Kristina Shanahan scored the Catamounts second goal of the period, bringing the score to 4-1.   

UConn would score late in the second to make it 4-2. The goal was scored by Colangelo. Snodgrass and Crawley assisted on the play. 

Vermont held this 4-2 lead heading into the third period, but momentum had swung back to the Huskies after their late goal in the second period. Vermont was able to kill UConn’s momentum and prevent the Huskies from making a comeback, holding them scoreless in the final period. The Catamounts scored two more goals with less than a minute remaining to win the game 6-2. 

UConn will look to rebound this weekend with two games against Merrimack College.

Joshua Gorman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.gorman@uconn.edu. He tweets @joshuagorman15.