Cozy Couture: Fashion for the average college student

0
0
exc-5e435476f0d105222854917e

Fashion can be made easy for college students. From dressing up a casual sweatshirt with a collared shirt underneath to adding a statement jewelry piece, you can look stylish with no effort.  Photo by    Lauren Fleischmann    on    Unsplash

Fashion can be made easy for college students. From dressing up a casual sweatshirt with a collared shirt underneath to adding a statement jewelry piece, you can look stylish with no effort. Photo by Lauren Fleischmann on Unsplash

Most average college students start their day by choosing an outfit. After hitting the snooze button a couple of times, you might wake up and throw on the first sweatshirt you can find. Although this is definitely the easiest option, don’t be so quick to sacrifice your own style for the price of comfort.

A lot of people sometimes wonder how and why I get so dressed up every day, even for my college classes. For me, style is a way to express myself; my body is my canvas. My sense of fashion reflects my mood, aesthetic or something I’m going through that week. Many believe that maintaining a sense of style during their college years is difficult and requires hours of shopping, planning and mood-boarding, but that simply is not the case. Putting effort into what you’re wearing, especially on a mundane weekday, can give you an extra boost of confidence.  

In the age of Yeezy, many sometimes pair two casual and comfy athleisure pieces that look expensive and call it a day. Whether that outfit is a designer T-shirt paired with expensive grey joggers and tennis shoes, this modern style is both sleek and comfortable. However, like your mother may have told you about eating sweets, “If you do it all the time, it doesn’t become special anymore!” Therefore, I am here to help you craft some “rolled out of bed” inspired outfits that will look like you put in twice the effort for only half the struggle.  

The key to this hard-to-acquire “cozy couture,” is to keep the pieces that stem from a lazy Sunday’s ‘fit and add either accessories or other pieces one would wear for their Sunday best. In the outfit pictured, I kept my grey sweatshirt but paired it with a jean skirt and tights. If the skirts and tights combo scares you, sub this out with a pair of comfy light-wash jeans (bonus points if you cuff the pants) to add a little tailor. Add a collared shirt underneath your sweatshirt and boom — now you look like a million bucks. I wore a blue pinstripe collared shirt underneath to give some fun contrast with a pattern. 

The second step is to add the accessories. I wore a pair of juicy cherry earrings to add a pop of color, as well as a watch to trick your onlookers into believing that you definitely always get where you need to go on time, wink.  Wear a low heel or loafer like I did, or pair some bright socks with a fresh-white pair of sneakers.  

If you’re still stuck, I point to the art of layering. Especially on a cold day, layering a turtleneck with a patterned collared shirt or Hawiian shirt can make for a funky ensemble. Many underestimate how comfy some “business casual” clothing; snag some tailored khaki or tweed pants in a soft fabric for your “I don’t wanna plan an outfit” day. Now keep hitting that snooze button and walk to your class in style! 

Caroline LeCour is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at caroline.lecour@uconn.edu.