Galentine’s Day Drinks

0
1

A photo of a Galentine’s Day themed alcoholic beverage.

“What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year!”  

Leslie Knope certainly said it best. Since being introduced by the television series “Parks and Rec,” Galentine’s Day has been growing in popularity. Simply put, Feb. 13 is a day to celebrate your platonic lady friends, before all the consumerist pomp and circumstance of Valentine’s Day. Honoring our non-romantic relationships is often just as important, if not moreso, than cozying up with our significant others. In Leslie Knope tradition, Galentine’s is celebrated with a breakfast or brunch, but since this year the date falls on a Thursday, why not show your girls how much they mean to you with a few amazing cocktails? Save the leftovers for your V-day plans, and never forget the code — uteruses before duderuses.  

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Martini 

Ingredients: 

1/2 shot Malibu rum 

1/2 shot peach schnapps 

1/2 shot vodka 

3 shots cranberry juice 

2 chocolate covered strawberries, for garnish 

Sugar to rim the glass 

In order to make this martini, gently mix all the liquid ingredients together in a cocktail shaker with ice. Wet the rim of the glass and dip into a plate of sugar (use pink sugar crystals for a fun touch). Cut a plain strawberry into heart shaped slices for garnish. Place a chocolate covered strawberry on the rim before serving.  

Cupid’s (Platonic) Arrow 

Ingredients:  

1 1/2 oz. vodka 

3/4 oz. blood orange liqueur 

1 1/2 oz. orange juice 

1 splash lemon juice 

5 chopped raspberries and strawberries 

1 teaspoon sugar  

1/2 can lemon lime soda 

To make this fruity cocktail, combine the vodka, liqueur, orange juice, lemon juice and sugar in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake vigorously. Rim the glass in red sugar crystals, and then fill with muddled berries and ice cubes. Add contents of cocktail shaker then soda. Stir gently to mix.  

Single Ladies Sangria 

Ingredients (makes a pitcher):  

1 750 mL bottle rosé 

1 1/2 cup seltzer 

1/2 cup pomegranate juice 

1/2 cup vodka 

1/4 cup raspberry liqueur 

1 cup sliced strawberries 

1 cup raspberries 

This recipe is such a fun take on a traditional sangria. The rosé makes it perfect for a night out with your girlfriends. To make this sweet pink drink, combine rosé, seltzer, pomegranate juice, vodka and raspberry liqueur in a large pitcher and stir. Add strawberries and raspberries, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Stir before serving. 

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.