Valentine’s Day Playlists

0
1

You’ll be feeling like a sexy single after tuning into this playlist.  Illustration by Kaitlyn Tran

You’ll be feeling like a sexy single after tuning into this playlist. Illustration by Kaitlyn Tran

If the words “Valentine’s Day” makes you physically cringe, then chances are you are most likely single. Don’t worry if you feel like the only one in your social circle who isn’t booed up this holiday. It’s not just you; more than half of Americans aged 18 to 35 were reportedly single last year. Cheer yourself up by hanging out with your single friends or take the day to focus on self-care. If you’re still feeling the single blues, add these songs to your playlist for an instant pick me up. This playlist will have you feeling like a sexy single in no time.  

“Good as Hell” by Lizzo feat. Ariana Grande 

This upbeat track is an undeniable mood booster. Lizzo’s feel-good lyrics will have you flipping your hair and checking your nails along with her. The importance of self-love is the key message delivered by these two powerful women. Turn this number on when you feel like celebrating yourself.  

“Survivor” by Destiny’s Child  

This classic R&B anthem is a playlist staple for feeling like an independent baddie. The girl group defies the notion that you need a partner to be happy, successful and thrive. They sing about how they are wiser, richer and stronger after ending a relationship. It’s the perfect song to hype yourself up. 

“NASA” by Ariana Grande  

Grande has no problem with being alone in this pop song. “It ain’t nothing wrong with saying I need me time,” croons the pop star. She compares herself to the universe and her lover as NASA, meaning it’s alright to spend time apart to grow individually. It’s okay to focus on yourself and recognize the importance of space in a relationship. Her empowering lyrics and captivating vocals will have you playing this on repeat.  

“Diva” by Beyonce  

Queen B is guaranteed to channel your inner boss in this catchy R&B/hip-hop track. She spins the image of the high-maintenance, demanding diva into a woman who has control over her life. Beyonce defines the term as a “female version of a hustla.” Give this song a listen if you immediately want to feel like an empowered individual.  

“Confident” by Demi Lovato  

This hit is all about feeling comfortable in your skin and embracing your sexuality. Lovato is unapologetic about her star power and isn’t afraid to hide her true self when she sings, “I used to hold my freak back, now I’m letting go.” This inspiring song shows that it’s ok to express your intimacy. Play this iconic bop when you need a boost of self-confidence.  

Honorable mentions:  

“Single Ladies” by Beyonce  

“You Don’t Own Me” by SAYGRACE 

“Feeling Myself” by Nicki Minaj and Beyonce  

“How to Be a Heartbreaker” by MARINA 

“BO$$” by Fifth Harmony  

Emily Pall is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emily.pall@uconn.edu.