Track & Field: Men and women finish up regular season at David Hemery Valentine Invitational

0
1
exc-5e49f7faa4a90257d8c5deaf

UConn’s track teams took part in the David Hemery Valentine Invitational this weekend. Both competed well and will look to continue their success in two weeks at the AAC Conference Championships.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

UConn’s track teams took part in the David Hemery Valentine Invitational this weekend. Both competed well and will look to continue their success in two weeks at the AAC Conference Championships. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

UConn’s men’s and women’s track and field teams finished up the regular season this weekend at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational in Boston. 

The women’s track and field team would start the two-day stay for the Huskies on Friday, looking to get off to a hot start. 

Women’s head coach Lindsey Crevoiserat expressed confidence in her team’s ability to have a big impact and build momentum as they head into conference. 

“We competed really well at New England’s, both men and women, and now we go out and see what kind of shape we are in.  We know what we are here for.  We should be really loose,” Crevoiserat told UConn Athletics.  

Distance returned to action for the Huskies and were looking to build off their performance at the New England Championship. Sophomore Shanelle Colmon finished first in the 200m, coming in at 24.75, while Kristina Cherrington finished the 500m in second with a personal best of 1:14.45. As a collective, the 4×800 teams took first place with times of 11:52.46 and 9:05.25, respectively. 

Junior Kelly Ward was able to place fifth in heat five of the 60m hurdles, coming in at a time of 9.49. The 800m run saw sophomore Ayoola Gbolade finish second in the sixth heat at 2:11.65.  

Encouraging results also emerged from the 400m and 200m dashes. In the 400m, senior Kristina Cherrington finished fourth in the sixth heat with a time of 57.37, while Shanelle Colmon finished first in the eleventh heat, coming in at 56.22. Furthermore, freshman Shauntae Nelson was able to make progress and come in 33rd at a time of 24.70. 

>
We competed really well at New England’s, both men and women, and now we go out and see what kind of shape we are in.  We know what we are here for.  We should be really loose.
— Coach Crevoiserat

Sophomore Emma Krebs participated in the 1000m run for the Huskies and finished 48th with a time of 2:58.00. Meanwhile, Junior Mia Nahom finished 24th in the mile coming in at 4:39.00, and 59th in the 3000m at 9:29.99. 

Finally, the 4×400 continued to improve, finishing sixth with a time of 3:42.00. 

Field competitors were looking to make just as strong of an impact as they followed up distance.  

Junior Kelly Ward and freshman Olivia Bowes were able to get UConn positive results in the long jump, with Ward finishing 16th at 5.50 meter, and Bowes finishing eighth and coming in at 5.55 meters. 

Sophomore Mikayla Rodgers held down the weight throw for the Huskies, finishing 14th with a throw of 19.01 meters.  

Sophomore Emma Chee continued to build momentum in the pole vault, finishing 20th. 

Junior Julia Silverman and freshman Paricia Mroczkowski both participated in the high jump, with Silverman finishing 12th at a height of 1.62 meters, and Mroczkowski finishing seventh at 1.70 meters.  

The UConn women’s track team competed well in the Invitational. They came out on top in 4X800 and placing well in many other sprints.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s track team competed well in the Invitational. They came out on top in 4X800 and placing well in many other sprints. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

UConn’s triple jump participants were freshman Akayla Leak and senior Gabriella Gavalas. Leak finished sixth at 11.68 meters, while Gavalas finished 14th, registering a jump of 11.50 meters.  

For the men, qualifying for any event — or even standing a chance — would rely on them showing out and performing at their highest level, head coach Greg Roy told UConn Athletics.  

The Huskies entered Saturday as the top-ranked men’s program in the Northeast, according to the latest USTFCCCA regional ranking.  

Sophomore Myles Calhoun and junior Eric Van Der Els showed out for UConn, with Calhoun obtaining a victory in the 60-meter dash, coming in at a personal best of 6.76 seconds and marking his second career collegiate victory. Van Der Els also clocked a second consecutive personal best, finishing the mile at 4:04.08 and taking 30th in the race.  

Sophomore Wellington Ventura and freshman Joseph O’Brien also had strong performances. Ventura finished second in the 400 meter, achieving his fastest time of the season at 47.27 seconds. O’Brien set a personal best in the 200 meter, coming in at 21.32 seconds. Junior Safir Scott finished at 47.55 seconds in the 400 meter to take fourth and obtain a personal best of 47.55 seconds.  

Freshman Stephen Sutton ran his first collegiate 500 meter, finishing fifth at a time of 1:04.35.  

The women still have some room to grow as a team, but with the AAC Championship next week, they will have one more opportunity to showcase their talents before the season ends.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

The women still have some room to grow as a team, but with the AAC Championship next week, they will have one more opportunity to showcase their talents before the season ends. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

“It was a really productive meet today. You can see the movement by our guys on the conference list,” Roy said.  

Field also was able to make much progress on Saturday. Sophomore Christopher Keegan led the Husky trio that finished in the top five in the weight throw with a throw of 18.35 meters, a personal best.  

Freshman Tyler Hybek finished with a personal best in the pole vault with a height of 4.80 meters. Fellow freshman Travis Snyder also had a solid performance, finishing second at a height of 4.90 meters. In the shot put, junior Todd Steber took second and had a season-best throw of 16.86 meters. Junior Nile Uzzell represented the Huskies in the triple jump, finishing with a jump of 14.71 meters.  

“Tyler got off the injured reserve in the pole vault and Nile had the most consistent meet of his career in the triple jump,” Roy said.  

Both teams now set their eyes on the AAC Conference Championship, set to take place on Feb. 28.