Women’s Lacrosse: UConn face tough defeat against James Madison 

0
7

UConn women’s lacrosse lost this weekend in a matchup against James Madison. After their win against Fairfield U last week, this makes them 1-1 on the season.  Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

UConn women’s lacrosse lost this weekend in a matchup against James Madison. After their win against Fairfield U last week, this makes them 1-1 on the season. Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

The past few years between UConn and James Madison in women’s lacrosse have resulted in the Dukes’ favor, and history repeated itself once more on Sunday. 

The Huskies were on the road to the U.S. Lacrosse Headquarters to face JMU where they lost 11-8. This puts UConn at No. 3 in the American Athletic Conference with an overall of 1-1 while JMU are No. 2 of the Colonial Athletic Association with a 2-1 overall. 

In the first half, the Huskies managed to take the lead with two goals: The first coming from midfielder Lia LaPrise in the 16th minute followed by midfielder Olivia Miles scoring the second half a minute later. It didn’t take long for the Dukes to regain their momentum, 47 seconds to be exact, as attacker Kacey Knobloch scored JMU’s first goal of the match. LaPrise scored again, her fourth of the season, in the 19th minute, however the Dukes quickly began to take charge before the half ended. 

With 10 minutes left in the first half, attacker Isabella Peterson scored an unassisted goal, her sixth of the season. In the 23rd minute, midfielder Lizzy Fox scored the 3-3 equalizer for the Dukes. About a minute later, attacker Katie Checkosky scored and gave James Madison the lead. 

JMU were quick to score again in the second half as midfielder Kelsey Reed scored in the 34th minute, however the Huskies managed to catch the Dukes by surprise within one minute. 

UConn lost 11-8 against the Dukes despite scoring the first two goals of the game. Their next game is against UMass Lowell next Friday.  Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

UConn lost 11-8 against the Dukes despite scoring the first two goals of the game. Their next game is against UMass Lowell next Friday. Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

Within the 35th minute, midfielder Madelyn George scored her second goal of the season while attacker Stephanie Palmucci scored about half a minute later for the 5-5 equalizer. Six seconds later, midfielder Olivia Troy scored her second of the season and gave UConn a momentous 6-5 lead. Game on…or so they thought. 

Less than a minute later attacker Daria Lucchesi scored for the Dukes, making the game leveled again. In the 42nd minute, Reed scored again, followed by Lucchesi scoring again two minutes later to make the game 8-6. 

UConn attacker Sam McKenna scored in the 46th minute, with Palmucci providing the assist, in an attempt to bring the match leveled again. However JMU midfielder Taylor Marchetti scored in the 48th minute, her first of the season, and maintained their two-goal lead for a short period of time. 

With less than 10 minutes left in the match, Palmucci scored her second goal of the match, her third of the season, with LaPrise providing the assist. It wasn’t enough for the Huskies to claim victory in the final minutes of the match as Marchetti scored once more in the 54th minute and attacker Logan Brennan secured the win for the Dukes with four and a half minutes left in the game. 

The Huskies will host UMass Lowell for their third game of the season this Friday at 3 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.