‘P.S. I Still Love You’ delights fans after a long anticipated wait

0
1
exc-5e4b46b0065dc80ce706d7e3

“P.S. I Still Love You,” had high expectations as the sequel to “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” Fans were delighted as it passed expectations with flying colors.  Photo by IMDB.com

“P.S. I Still Love You,” had high expectations as the sequel to “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” Fans were delighted as it passed expectations with flying colors. Photo by IMDB.com

This week must have been the most exciting week of 2020 for all Lara Jean lovers. On Feb. 12, the anticipated sequel of “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” was released on Netflix and it was even more amazing than expected. “P.S. I Still Love You” further explores the complex relationship between Lara Jean (Lana Condor), Peter (Noah Centineo) and all the ups and downs of young love.  

“P.S. I Still Love You” picks up right where the first film left off. Lara Jean’s relationship is full of love, except for Peter’s friendship with his beautiful ex-girlfriend Genevieve (Emilija Baranac). She struggles to understand why they’re getting caught hugging or why Peter is never able to say no to G. After all, aren’t couples supposed to hate each other after they break up? 

To make matters worse, John Ambrose McClaren (Jordan Fisher) finally responds to Lara Jean’s love letter. For all you newbies, the plot began when Kitty (Anna Cathcart), Jean’s younger, nosy sister sent out five love letters that were written by young Lara Jean to her five first loves. Mortified beyond despair, Lara Jean prayed that her fifth letter would never get a response… until it did. Her love life quickly spiraled out of control as she’s torn between two loves, one that provides security or one that excites her.  

I’m always skeptical about films produced by Netflix, but “P.S. I Still Love You” proved me wrong. It’s more than a loving rom-com. The audience is taken on a journey that’s both modern and realistic. I find myself cringing at romance movies, either they’re too staged or so unrealistic where it’s comical. “P.S. I Still Love You” reminds me of the romantic troubles we all go through. Whether we want to admit it or not, ex-girlfriends, ex-wives or even ex-flings are always subjects of question within a relationship. Lara Jean is relatable, and that’s what makes the series so successful. For once a relationship is depicted as a working commitment between two people. We see Peter listen to Lara Jean through her doubts and react in a healthy, admirable way that showcases how all young partners should act towards each other.  

Before I go further, let me warn you that spoilers will unfortunately lay ahead. There are few aspects of the film that are far different than the novel. To start off, John Ambrose and Lara Jean meet at the beginning of the film, whereas in the book they saw each other in person for the first time towards the end. Throughout the novel, they sent each other an exchange of letters which built anticipation for when they would eventually see each other face-to-face. I found this missing in the film. Manhunt was never even mentioned in the film, as well as Genevieve and Lara Jean never hanging out just them two in the novel. A small part of me wishes the film version had remained more consistent with the book, however I understand the need to remove some things.  

“P.S. I Still Love You” is a must-watch if you haven’t already. Steal your best friend’s Netflix password and start binging. I promise, you won’t regret it.  

Rating: 5/5 

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.