Rainbow Six Siege Invitational recap 

0
0
exc-5e4b3d0071f6217a28db22ac

Teams competed this weekend in the biggest Rainbow Six Seige tournament of the year. Hometown Space Station came back from behind to win the title.  Photo by Sam Churchill via Flickr Creative Commons.

Teams competed this weekend in the biggest Rainbow Six Seige tournament of the year. Hometown Space Station came back from behind to win the title. Photo by Sam Churchill via Flickr Creative Commons.

On Sunday, Spacestation Gaming battled Ninjas In Pajamas at the biggest Rainbow Six Siege tournament of the year, the Six Invitational. The tournament boasted storied rosters and incredible plays across two weeks of competition, including G2’s stunning elimination in the first round of the lower bracket and NIP’s near-miraculous run to the grand finale.  

The Ninjas battled through the lower bracket after a quarterfinals loss to TSM. They beat the back-to-back invitational winners, G2, one of the best North American teams in the world in DarkZero, and French powerhouse BDS Esports to earn another shot at TSM, this time in the lower bracket finals. This time the Ninjas didn’t falter. They dominated TSM in two short, bloody games that saw them win 7-5 on Consulate and 7-3 on Clubhouse. 

The Ninjas dominant victory over TSM was bolstered by two of their star players, Pino and Kamikaze. Pino finished the series with 22 kills and 16 deaths, while Kamikaze came in second with 15 kills and 11 deaths. On the TSM side, their star player Beaulo did everything he could to keep his team alive, going an incredible 27 kills and 18 deaths. Unfortunately for Beaulo, only one other player on his team, Geoo, even managed to top 10 kills, leading to TSM’s exit from the tournament in third place.  

Then, the Ninjas faced another hometown favorite, Spacestation Gaming. The Ninjas in Pajamas, who are a Brazilian team, had already taken down two American rosters in front of the Canadian crowd in Montreal and there was no question as to who the crowd was backing. The crowd overwhelmingly seemed to back Space Station, even as the team faltered going into the second map. 

It’s also worth noting that in Rainbow Six’s Invitational, unlike in some esports, there is another benefit besides more rest time to finishing in the Upper Bracket. The Upper Bracket team, in this case, Spacestation Gaming, begins with a 1-0 lead at The Invitational. That means that they only needed to win two maps of their best-of-five against NIP, while NIP had to win three. Despite this handicap, NIP began the series well, claiming the first map 7-3 and the second map 7-2.  

But it was the next map where everything began to fall apart. Despite a 4-0 early lead from NIP, they faltered. It was almost a moment where you can see it all start to fall apart. In rounds five and six, NIP crumbled. It felt like in those two rounds, every ounce of momentum fo the team was gone, and Spacestation was firmly back in control. They claimed seven of the eight rounds after NIP’s four, finishing the map 7-5.  

Going into Map Five, Ninjas in Pajamas looked defeated. They fought hard, but Spacestation refused to give up the momentum they so abruptly claimed and pulled across the finish line victorious.  

This win was an incredible moment for Space Station, and for North American Rainbow Six as a whole. As G2’s dynasty fell apart around them, Spacestation Gaming secured North America’s place as the kings of Rainbow Six Siege for now.  

Ashton Stansel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ashton.stansel@uconn.edu.