Editorial: Financial reasons behind Buckley dining hall closure 

0
11

A recent student-led petition circulated to try to reopen Buckley Dining Hall on the weekends, since it shortened hours in 2017. Dennis Pierce, executive director of Dining Services at UConn, acknowledged financial limitations as the reasons for Buckley’s s weekend closure.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

A recent student-led petition circulated to try to reopen Buckley Dining Hall on the weekends, since it shortened hours in 2017. Dennis Pierce, executive director of Dining Services at UConn, acknowledged financial limitations as the reasons for Buckley’s s weekend closure. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

Buckley Dining Hall has been closed during weekends since 2017. A recent student-led petition circulated to try to reopen the dining hall during weekends. Dining Services did respond and informed students that Buckley Dining Hall’s current hours are in place due to financial reasons. 

Although this is inconvenient for many students, especially those who live in Buckley and Shippee, the financial reasons for Buckley Dining Hall’s current hours are valid. Dining Services is doing a good job of being transparent with their decisions and this is something that we all should be grateful for. 

With a campus as large as the University of Connecticut, we already require eight dining halls, which is quite a few in comparison to many other colleges and universities. To keep all eight of them open for seven days a week would be very difficult financially. 

Dennis Pierce, executive director of Dining Services at UConn, did give valid reasons for Buckley Dining Hall’s shortened hours. Pierce also acknowledged that in the case of a winter snow storm, he understands that students would not want to walk very far for food. However, Pierce did say that UConn Dining Services is a self-supporting business and therefore these financial decisions must be made carefully.

At the beginning of the fall 2018 semester, Northwest Dining Hall closed during Fridays and Saturdays, which was extremely inconvenient for students. However, it later reopened due to food storage problems as well as the large student population that frequented this dining hall.

Perhaps in the future, UConn Dining Services will be able to reopen Buckley Dining Hall during the weekends, just as they did with Northwest Dining Hall. However, for now, we should be grateful for how transparent dining services has been. The reason to keep Buckley closed is purely financial — although it does inconvenience students, that reason is valid.