Former dean of University of Connecticut Law School passes away 

0
12

Former dean of the University of Connecticut School of Law passed away last Thursday at the age of 79, according to a UConn Today report.  

Hugh C. Macgill was the dean of UConn’s Law School from 1990 to 2000, according to his profile on the School of Law website.  

“Hugh Macgill was a transformational leader,” UConn Law Dean Timothy Fisher told UConn Today. “We are the school that we are today thanks to him.”  

>
Hugh Macgill was a transformational leader,” UConn Law Dean Timothy Fisher told UConn Today. “We are the school that we are today thanks to him.

Macgill graduated from University of Virginia School of Law in 1968, then focused on tenants’ rights in Baltimore with the Reginald Heber Smith Community Lawyer Fellowship Program. After, he worked with the St. Paul Urban Coalition in Minnesota, according to UConn Today.  

“Afterward, with a grant from the Bush Foundation, he went to Yale Law School and worked as a graduate fellow,” UConn Today reported.  

He also graduated with a BA in Russian from Yale and had served as a Mandarin Chinese Language Specialist in the Army Security Agency in Taiwan for three years, according to UConn Today.  

Macgill also participated in many community and public service activities in the state of Connecticut.  

“His countless professional and civic activities include serving as chair of the Connecticut Humanities Council; president of Neighborhood Legal Services (Hartford) and the Connecticut Historical Society; chairman of the State Ethics Commission and Connecticut Urban Legal Initiative; and president of the Connecticut Bar Foundation,” Macgill’s profile said.  

While at UConn, Macgill taught legal history and constitutional law.  

“Construction of the Thomas J. Meskill Law Library was Macgill’s signature achievement as dean,” the article said.  

Sara Bronin, the Thomas F. Gallivan Chair of Real Property Law, worked closely with Macgill and remembered him as an important leader and member of the UConn community.  

“Hugh was a brilliant connector of ideas and people, whose incisiveness enabled him to quickly get to the root of any issue,” Bronin said. “As a leader of the law school, he was a strategic thinker, building buildings and programs with a clear vision to strengthen the campus.”  

Bronin also commented on his optimistic character and how it strengthened his legacy for years to come.  

“Hugh’s fundamental optimism, tempered with realistic insights into human nature, helped him build an enduring legacy across many dimensions,” Bronin said.  

A memorial service will be held in the spring, according to UConn Today.  

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu