How to save money as a college student

0
15

A photo of a college student trying to figure out what services they can purchase. By using some of these services you can purchase more services for the same price.  Photo by     Super Kuncheek     from     Pexels

A photo of a college student trying to figure out what services they can purchase. By using some of these services you can purchase more services for the same price. Photo by Super Kuncheek from Pexels

Ever hesitated to upgrade to Spotify Premium or to buy the latest fashion piece? As college students, we spend a chunk of our savings on college books and other necessities. We are restricted in how we spend our money, especially in buying items we want to purchase. In the age where there is an app for everything, you’d be surprised how many deals can be found for students. Here is a list of apps and deals that will make you rethink paying full price for anything.  

Unidays

This app brings deals, content and internships that are essential for college students. You can get coupons for stores such as Pacsun, Journeys and H&M. But there are many other stores where you can get discounts. Unidays gives instant access to student discounts, with no student ID required. The only thing you need to do is enter your school name. Coupons can be used in stores as well. Just show the coupon to the retailer, and the discount should go through. Unidays is perfect for getting deals from your favorite stores. Whether you like online shopping or like to browse the mall, Unidays will send coupon codes to save you money. 

Honey

Honey is heavily advertised on YouTube, but how many people actually downloaded it? For those who don’t know, Honey is a browser extension that makes it easy for you to find coupon codes. This browser extension will search the internet for valid coupon codes that you can use at checkout. Honey is relatively safe to use, however it does collect user data.  

Honey tracks users’ web browsers so it can appear on specific pages, mostly pages of stores and companies. Not only will you save yourself time searching for codes, you only need to click the Honey icon on your browser to get it working.  

Spotify Premium

If you use Spotify, you should upgrade to premium. The individual premium plan is $9.99 per month, but students get a package of $4.99 per month. The student plan includes a Hulu and Showtime plan, as well as the ability to listen to music anywhere with no ads. If you are annoyed with ads disrupting you while listening to your favorite tunes, you should consider making the move to premium.  

Pocket Points 

I was introduced to Pocket Points during my freshman year at UConn. This app rewards students points for their hours spent offline. This means you must shut your phone completely off in order to win points. The app tracks the time spent offline and allots a certain number of points to each time period. With your points, you gain discount codes and coupons that can be used at restaurants or clothing stores.  A pro about this app is that it forces you to turn off your phone and focus on something else, such as school work.  

Other apps for student discounts/sales: 

1. Depop 

2. Amazon Prime 

3. GoPuff 

Cindy Lam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at cindy.lam@uconn.edu.