Martinis three ways

0
1
exc-5e4de8f392e2c26a154568da

A photo of a martini in a glass. Martinis may have always seemed like a wealthy drink, but now you can easily make one from the comfort of your home.  Photo by    Stanislav Ivanitskiy    on    Unsplash

A photo of a martini in a glass. Martinis may have always seemed like a wealthy drink, but now you can easily make one from the comfort of your home. Photo by Stanislav Ivanitskiy on Unsplash

Martinis, like cosmopolitans, have always seemed like a luxurious, inaccessible drink. It’s the cocktail that the lead female actress sips on in every blockbuster. It’s the drink fabulous men and women swish around at the blackjack table before placing their bets. I don’t know if it’s the tall-stemmed glass, the unidentified clear liquids I can’t pronounce or the olive spear twirling around in there, but there’s something about a martini that makes it seem superior. As a college student, I never order or make martinis. But why must there be so much mystery around the drink? In an effort to demystify the martini, I’ve found three casual, easy recipes that make the martini more manageable. 

Cranberry Martini 

Ingredients: 

1 oz. vodka 

1 oz. peach schnapps 

2 oz. cranberry juice 

Lime wedge for garnish  

To make this fruity cross between a cosmo and a martini, simply add all the liquid ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well before straining into a highball glass. Garnish with a lime wedge or twist.  

Hollywood Martini 

Ingredients: 

2 oz. vodka 

3/4 oz. black raspberry liqueur 

1/2 oz. pineapple juice 

This martini screams Tinseltown glamor but the short ingredient list makes it an easy option for any cocktail party. Again, combine all liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a chunk of pineapple and a raspberry. 

Apple Cider Martini 

Ingredients: 

1 3/4 oz. vodka  

1 1/2 oz. apple cider 

1/4 oz. ginger liqueur 

Enjoy the taste of apple cider while you still can! Simply combine all liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick. 

After my deep dive into alternative martini recipes, I’ve learned two things: Martinis are actually super easy to make, and not everyone likes a traditional gin martini. Most of these recipes only call for three ingredients and a cocktail shaker. Adding a fruity element takes some of the intimidation out of the traditional, classic martini, so feel free to experiment and add a new cocktail to your list of favorites.