UConn Fencing heads to NEIFC Championships this Saturday

0
1
exc-5e4f382b1f02d40d7ea1d5c2

The UConn Fencing Club practices at Hawley Armory on Monday night. Members of the club will be attending the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference Championships at Vassar College on Feb. 22.  Photos by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

The UConn Fencing Club practices at Hawley Armory on Monday night. Members of the club will be attending the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference Championships at Vassar College on Feb. 22. Photos by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut fencing club will be taking part in the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference Championships, the biggest tournament in the division this semester on Saturday starting at 9 a.m. 

14 other schools along with UConn will be in attendance, including one Division I varsity team (Sacred Heart) and five Division III teams (Brandeis, MIT, Vassar, Wellesley and Tufts’ women’s team). 

“I’m looking forward to doing my best against some of the best teams in New England,” Sarah Pasqualetti, UConn fencing club president, said. 

The tournament is split into two sections, the first being a team-based format where each team will be in three-person squads.

Treasurer Sammy Soumakis also weighed in, saying, “I’m looking forward to fencing a lot of strong fencers with different styles.” 

UConn is sending 17 fencers to the tournament, six representing Foil, six for Epee and five for Sabre. 

Men’s Foil: Sammy Soumakis, Gabe Lozada-Rodriguez and Dalton Hawie 

Women’s Foil: Sarah Pasqualetti, Kathryn Atkinson and Meghan Plourde 

Men’s Epee: Sam Zelin, Nick Tatro and Edward Russell 

Women’s Epee: Alexandra Hessberger, Grace Mcfadden and Amanda Hernandez 

A livestream of the event will be available for anyone not able to attend, and it can be accessed at vassarathletics.com.

Men’s Sabre: Jack Dineen, Thomas George and Mike McClellan 

Women’s Sabre: Ella Byrne and Alexandria Boutin 

The tournament is split into two sections, the first being a team-based format where each team will be in three-person squads. Each squad will fence all 14 of the other squads in a round robin, and the winner will be the team with the most total victories. Each squad will be organized by the letters A, B and C, with each fencdr keeping their letter all day, and when two teams compete, it will be A vs. A, B vs. B and C vs. C.  The entirety of the team portion of the tournament will feature five touch bouts, where the first fencer to five points (or whoever is in the lead at the end of the period for Foil and Epee) wins. 

After the conclusion of the team competition, six people from the A fencers, four from the B fencers and two from the C fencers will be seeded into a tournament format. After one round robin round, the bottom four will be cut, and an eight-person direct elimination bracket will be played out for first.  The round robin will continue with five touch bouts, but the direct elimination bouts will all be to 15. 

A livestream of the event will be available for anyone not able to attend, and it can be accessed at vassarathletics.com. Results for the event will be available on the NEIFC website and will be announced on UConn Fencing’s social media. 

This is the first of two major tournaments for UConn this semester, as the USA Club Fencing Championships will be taking place in early April in West Springfield, Mass.  This will include a larger pool of teams but without the varsity squads that NEIFCs has. 

Sam Zelin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sam.zelin@uconn.edu.