Tennis Recap: Women split road series while the men’s struggles continue 

0
0
exc-5e532d7329ef91017485a34c

UConn’s tennis teams had an up and down weekend, with the women winning one but the men losing both.  File Photo/The Daily Campus.

UConn’s tennis teams had an up and down weekend, with the women winning one but the men losing both. File Photo/The Daily Campus.

The women’s team traveled to Ithaca, New York on Friday to take on Cornell. After UConn (3-4) lost the doubles point, Cornell (2-4) continued their strong play in the singles matches to hand UConn the 6-1 loss. Though the Huskies lost the doubles point, sophomore Luciana Rabines and freshman Denise Lai combined to win their set 7-6. From there, UConn was swept in singles matches, with their lone singles point coming by default.  

Though they struggled against Cornell, the women bounced back on Saturday to earn a dominant 7-0 victory against Binghamton. In doubles, the duo of sophomore Mireille Moreau and sophomore Julieanne Bou earned a 7-6 win in their set. Additionally, Rabines and Lai won 7-5 to earn UConn the doubles point. Afterwards, UConn won all six singles points over Binghamton (3-9). Bou, Rabines, Lai, Moreau, freshman Caroline Cook and freshman Doga Selen Takunyaci all won their singles sets to win the overall match 7-0.  

After the match head coach Glenn Marshall said, “I challenged them going into the singles to pick up the effort and intensity, and they responded with straight set wins in all six singles matches. I am pleased with how they battled through the singles and came through with the win.” 

Meanwhile, on Friday, the men faced off against Saint Joseph’s and lost 4-0. Though they did not earn the doubles point, junior Yili Zheng and freshman Rami Scheetz won their set 6-1. The singles matches were also a struggle as UConn (1-12) failed to collect a point over Saint Joseph’s (4-1) in singles play.  

Saturday’s match with Bucknell, however, was a much tighter affair. Though Bucknell (4-3), won the doubles point, UConn fought back to make the match close. Zheng, freshman Nicholas Gore and senior Evan Powell earned victories in singles play. However, with the doubles point in hand, Bucknell eventually edged out UConn for the 4-3 victory, handing the men their 11th straight defeat.  

Next weekend, the men host Merrimack on Saturday before facing Marist on the road on Sunday. Meanwhile, the women will travel to Texas to face off against UT-Arlington on Saturday and Houston on Sunday.  

Thumbnail Photo courtesy of The Daily Campus.

Ben Berg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ben.berg@uconn.edu. He tweets @bergywergy3030.