President’s Awards for Excellence in Dialogue and Civility nominations due March 6 

0
0

Nominations for the President’s Awards in Excellence in Dialogue and Civility are due March 6. Those selected as finalists are offered lots of opportunities to work and lead individuals and groups.  Screenshot via Department of Student Activities Website.

Nominations for the President’s Awards in Excellence in Dialogue and Civility are due March 6. Those selected as finalists are offered lots of opportunities to work and lead individuals and groups. Screenshot via Department of Student Activities Website.

Nominations for the President’s Awards for Excellence in Dialogue and Civility for both individuals and groups in the University of Connecticut community must be submitted by March 6 at noon, according to the Student Life Awards nominations page. 

These recognitions, new to the Student Life Awards after their establishment in January 2019, are awarded to those who encouraged civil discourse and dialogue on UConn’s campuses. They are available to UConn students and organizations on all campuses as long as they exemplify the characteristics emphasized by the awards. 

Those who are selected as finalists can fill a variety of roles such as facilitating meaningful conversation and developing innovative pedagogical approaches, highlighting that these awards are not designed for one specific type of individual or organization. Students, faculty and staff from any campus are all eligible for the individual award and any organization, formal or informal, will be considered if nominated. 

“Award recipients will be chosen based on successful demonstration of responsible utilization of dialogue as a means of welcoming divergent opinions and creating new knowledge,” as stated on the Student Life Awards webpage. 

Those interested in nominating an individual or organization must answer two short essay questions explaining the ways they have worked with the nominee in question and explain how they feel the individual or group showcases the characteristics emphasized in these awards. 

Individuals and organizations who have been nominated for these awards must accept their nominations and have their statements of support submitted by March 13 at noon if they desire to be considered. Only those who accept their nomination and have submitted statements of support will be eligible. 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.