UConn recognized as a top producer of Fulbright Scholars

0
21

Challa Kumar is one of UConn’s scholars studying abroad as a part of the Fullbright Scholarship Program. The program sponsors U.S. and foreign participants in a wide variety of areas.  Photo via    chemistry.uconn.edu

Challa Kumar is one of UConn’s scholars studying abroad as a part of the Fullbright Scholarship Program. The program sponsors U.S. and foreign participants in a wide variety of areas. Photo via chemistry.uconn.edu

The University of Connecticut has been recognized as a top producer of Fulbright U.S. Scholars from a research university for the second time in four years, according to a UConn Today article.  

“With the support of the United States government and through binational partnerships with foreign governments, the Fulbright Scholarship Program sponsors U.S. and foreign participants for exchanges in all areas of endeavor, including the sciences, business, academe, public service, government and the arts and continues to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries,” the Fulbright Scholar program website said.  

Six faculty at UConn are currently pursuing U.S. Scholar research opportunities abroad, according to the UConn Department of Global Affairs website.

Scholars studying abroad include associate professor of sociology Matthew Hughey, professor of chemistry Challa Kumar, professor of painting in the School of Fine Arts Kathryn Myers, Associate Prof. of Civil and Environmental Engineering Malaquias Pena-Mendez,  associate professor of English Bhakti Shringarpure, and associate professor of marine sciences Michael Whitney, according to the website.   

“The Fulbright Program is the government’s flagship international educational exchange program,” the Global Affairs website reported. “Scholars are selected for their academic merit and leadership potential, with the opportunity to exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns.”  

Fulbright Scholarship Fellow and UConn alum Omar Taweh received a Fulbright Student Research Grant to do research in Jordan, focusing on improving pediatric refugee mental health services, as well as researching the intersection of religion and politics in order to better inform the policy and work he has done while in Jordan.  

Michael Whitney is another recipient of the Fullbright Scholarship. He is currently an Associate Professor of marine sciences at UConn.  Photo via    circa.uconn.edu

Michael Whitney is another recipient of the Fullbright Scholarship. He is currently an Associate Professor of marine sciences at UConn. Photo via circa.uconn.edu

“Being granted the Fulbright Grant has allowed me to break from my heavy focus on science to learn and inform healthcare policy to support those most affected the global crises we face today,” Taweh said. “While the grant has helped me expand and improve my language skills in my mother tongue, it has also given me the opportunity to learn directly from those that international healthcare systems work to support.”  

Taweh says that he chose to study at UConn for both its price and the opportunities it offered him to learn and grow as a global citizen. He earned a Bachelor of Science in physiology and neurobiology, a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, and a minor in human rights from UConn.  

“The Fulbright Program, like many others, was surely something I was turned on to by word of mouth from my extremely intelligent peers and friends, but also something I succeeded in achieving by means of UConn’s phenomenal academic support system such as the Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships,” Taweh said.  

Fulbright Week at UConn will be held April 13 through 17, according to UConn Today. Information sessions, advising sessions and a reception for Fulbright Scholars, among other events, will be offered.  

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.