Former UConn soccer player suing the university awaits summary judgement 

0
0
exc-5e55d1d5a6cc764ba8836cc8

Former soccer player Noriana Radwan sued the University of Connecticut on Dec. 19, 2016 after her scholarship was revoked during a 2014 incident when she gave the middle finger to an ESPNU camera.  

A portion of the lawsuit has been submitted for summary judgement, according to court records. Summary judgement is entered by a court by one party against another without a full trial.  

The incident occurred while Radwan was celebrating a team victory. The lawsuit claims Title IX violations by UConn. UConn also violated NCAA bylaw 15.3.2.3 by not giving Radwan a public hearing when revoking her scholarship, Radwan’s attorney Greg Tarone said.  

NCAA bylaw 15.3.2.3 states “The institution’s regular financial aid authority shall notify the student-athlete in writing of the opportunity for a hearing when institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability is to be reduced or canceled during the period of the award, or is reduced or not renewed for the following academic year or years.”   

Tarone said this never happened. 

“They took away her scholarship in the middle of the year. They did it with total disregard,” Tarone said. “They did it without any hearing which is required by the NCAA and required to be in front of the student body. That student body never got the opportunity to discuss her alleged misconduct. This wasn’t serious misconduct. This was a joke.” 

A 2016 press release by Radwan’s attorneys said this bylaw is usually reserved for dismissal under grounds of “criminal, violent and felonious offenses.” 

UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz declined to comment, saying “UConn doesn’t comment on pending litigation.” 

“This case is a serious case for student athletes across the United States,” Tarone said. “It will undoubtedly be followed and talked about.” 

Former UConn women’s soccer head coach Leonard Tsantiris, former UConn athletic director Warde Manuel, Director of Student Financial Aid Services Mona Lucas and The UConn Board of Trustees are the co-defendants in this lawsuit. 

According to Tarone, the findings of summary judgement are expected to be released in two to four months.

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu