Spring break ideas by budget and effort 

0
2

A beach packed with students enjoying their spring break. With spring break rapidly approaching the time to make plans for break is nearing its end.  Photo by    sergio souza    on    Unsplash

A beach packed with students enjoying their spring break. With spring break rapidly approaching the time to make plans for break is nearing its end. Photo by sergio souza on Unsplash

Spring break is rapidly approaching, and students are running out of time to make plans for a great break. Here are four spring break ideas organized by effort in planning and budget. There’s something for everyone, from the spring breaker who booked their ticket to the Bahamas months ago and the person who didn’t realize spring break is only two more weeks away.  

Flying Out 

The view from a plane departing from a vacation destination. Flying is a common way to reach your travel destination during spring break.  Photo by    Simon Maage    on    Unsplash

The view from a plane departing from a vacation destination. Flying is a common way to reach your travel destination during spring break. Photo by Simon Maage on Unsplash

If you’re flying somewhere for spring break, chances are you’ve already booked your ticket and are just counting down the days until spring break.  

Make sure that all last-minute details are in place. Find your passport, print your boarding pass and drag out your suitcase. All that’s left for you to do is pack your bags when the time comes. Don’t forget your swimsuit, sunscreen and flip flops if you’re headed to the beach. 

Once you get to your destination, make sure to stay safe and not party too hard. Always go out with a friend and come up with a plan for what to do if you ever get separated. It’s not worth all that money if you’re not having a great, safe time! 

Road Tripping 

If you’re willing to put in a little effort right now, there’s still time for you and a friend or significant other to plan a road trip. Take a few days to drive somewhere and plan a day or two to look around your destination.  

Make sure to create a budget that includes funds for gas, food and lodging. Additionally, you should check to make sure your car’s tire pressure is ok and that you have a spare tire and emergency kit.  

A few destinations within day-or-so driving distance of Connecticut are Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Maine and Montreal (though you’ll need a passport for this one). Look up attractions at your destination and along the way before you get in the car so that you know of some cool places to stop.  

Day Trips  

If you’re headed home but don’t feel like staying home all week, plan a day trip or two to the city or somewhere else cool.  

New York has plenty of fun things to do. You could go budget-friendly and visit Central Park, the High Line or Vessel in Hudson Yards. All of these are free and open to the public, though you will have to pick up (free) tickets for Vessel. These spaces are also interesting because you’ll get to experience nature and art at once.  

Boston is similarly full of things to do. Walk around Faneuil Hall, an indoor-outdoor shopping center, or visit the Museum of Fine Arts or the New England Aquarium.  

Two friends catching up over some tea and coffee. Spring break is a great time to hang out with friends you havne’t seen in a while.  Photo by     mentatdgt     from     Pexels

Two friends catching up over some tea and coffee. Spring break is a great time to hang out with friends you havne’t seen in a while. Photo by mentatdgt from Pexels

Staycation 

Don’t be disappointed if you’re staying home for spring break. It’s one of the few opportunities that college students have left to hang around the house doing nothing. Fortunately, it is also very budget-friendly.  

Make the most of the week by visiting old friends or seeing family. Get a few people together and do something fun like ice skating, bowling or mini golfing (if it’s warm enough).  

Invite some college friends to your hometown and show them around. Take them to your favorite coffee shop on Main Street or the best ice cream you know. A few days later, you can go visit them in their town. 

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu