Nutmeg and UCTV looking to increase undergraduate fee

0
0
exc-5e58724e9df53f4eb31171ef

Nutmeg Publishing and UCTV proposed a fee increase from $5 to $7.50. The election will take place on Mar. 3-5 where the decision will be made.  Photo by The Daily Campus/File Photo

Nutmeg Publishing and UCTV proposed a fee increase from $5 to $7.50. The election will take place on Mar. 3-5 where the decision will be made. Photo by The Daily Campus/File Photo

Nutmeg Publishing and UCTV have proposed fee increases in the upcoming 2020 Joint Election. Nutmeg is asking for an increase of $1 per semester, raising the semester fee to $4 from $3, while UCTV is asking for a $2.50 per semester increase, increasing the semester fee from $5 to $7.50. 

Nutmeg’s Editor-in-Chief Madison Busick said the yearbook may not be able to run properly in the future without the fee increase.  

“Basically, our organization has looked at our budget for the upcoming years and does not think we will be able to continue all the services we currently provide to students without a fee increase,” Busick said. “As a student-run organization, we understand that student budgets are tight and take this decision very seriously.” 

Due to its growing numbers, UCTV General Manager Ryan Panny said they would use the fee increase to be able to continue paying their employees, so that all UCTV programs could continue to run.  

“We want to make our services more accessible to UConn nation as a whole while also allowing our members to be able to support themselves and make connections that will last past their time at UConn, allowing us to preserve the histories of Huskies for years to come,” Panny said. 

UCTV was founded in 1991, and is broadcast on channel 14. According to its website, UCTV is a student-run organization that provides “news, event coverage, information and entertainment to its constituents.” 

Nutmeg’s annual yearbook has been published consistently since its founding in 1914, and the organization sends all UConn students a free copy after they graduate. Along with being a memento for each graduate to keep, the yearbook serves as a way to keep record of each year at the university, and copies are sent to all departments and the Dodd center. In 2015, the Nutmeg Magazine was launched, a free magazine that is published online each semester.  

The election will take place at noon on March 3-5, and will be accessible online through vote.uconn.edu. If either of the votes pass, the earliest they will go into effect is fall semester 2021. Also on the ballot are USG elections and elections for undergraduate and graduate trustees. 

Sam Zelin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sam.zelin@uconn.edu