Take a chance on bittersweet love in Coin’s “Dreamland”

0
1
exc-5e58754c1992186a696dec7d

American indie-pop band Coin released its third album, “Dreamland” on Feb. 21.  Photo via    @coin

American indie-pop band Coin released its third album, “Dreamland” on Feb. 21. Photo via @coin

American indie-pop band Coin has returned with its third album, “Dreamland,” since “How Will You Know If You Never Try” was released three years ago. Released on Feb. 21, the album is a journal of the trio’s experience over the last few years. 

“Dreamland” is more than just an album, it’s a musical journey through uncertainty and hardship in the span of 14 songs. The first track is “Into My Arms,” which opens up listeners to “Dreamland” and what’s to come. Starting with both light and hard-hitting synths, the vocals come in with a melodic punch. The instrumentation and melodies of this song make for a perfect opening track and perfect example of Coin’s music. 

The fourth song of the album, “Crash My Car,” combines a sick bass track with some lyrics that make great use of repetition with frontman Chase Lawrence’s vocals. For example, “All eyes on the golden girl / She’s gonna tell ya, gonna tell ya / Gonna tell ya that you’re too sweet / Swan dive to the concrete floor / The pavement never felt so warm / One look and you already know / She’s gonna cut ya, gonna cut ya / Gonna cut ya, cut ya real deep.” The song builds up and culminates in an anthemic chorus with “You can crash my car tonight / Go out, wasting all my time and money (Money) / I love the way you’re breaking my heart / And I can’t stand to see you leaving lonely.” 

“Youuu,” the seventh track off of “Dreamland,” is a melancholic song about a breakup, exploring the anxiety that comes with getting close to someone new after having your heart broken. According to an interview with Billboard, “Youuu,” was the first song that was written for the album and was the song responsible for saving the group from disbanding.  

“I was upstairs in one of the other rooms of the house and heard Chase singing, ‘It’s always been you’ while playing the piano,” drummer Ryan Winnen said. “It was instant and familiar. Once in a while, when someone is creating something brand new, someone else comes along and says, ‘What song is that?’ — ‘Youuu’ is one of those songs. It’s a forever song.” 

Right after the melodious and bittersweet “Valentine,” “Nobody’s Baby” is an absolute sensation. Everything about this song makes it an absolute anthem, and probably one of the best tracks on “Dreamland.” The first line, “Wake up, lying face up / I’m feeling like I found myself,” combined the fast-paced drumming and rhythmic guitar, build up to a bare-bones pre-chorus that peaks in a quick and harmonious chorus. Each pre-chorus, along with the bridge, feels like summiting a mountain once you get to the ecstatic release that comes from the chorus. If there’s just one song you have to listen to from “Dreamland,” it’s this one. 

If you’re not entirely sure if Coin’s synth-rock is to your taste, I would recommend listening to “Into My Arms,” “Nobody’s Baby” and “Never Change” for a sample of what the band is capable of. However, the album is best heard in chronological order due to the transitions and overall structure of the album. 

Most of the time, the song order of albums doesn’t matter as much as the content, but for Coin’s “Dreamland,” the structure adds to the journey: It begins with strong synths in “Into My Arms,” “Simple Romance” and “Crash My Car”; then slowing down in “Dreamland Sequence,” “Cemetery,” “Youuu” and “Valentine”; the album picks back up in songs like “Nobody’s Baby” and “Never Change” until it ultimately ends in a calm exhale with “Heaven Hearted” and “Let It All Out (10:05).” 

There’s honestly nothing I can critique on this album. You can vibe with every song and you can tell that there’s a reason for the album to be structured the way it is, beginning with strong momentum from the relentless jam that is “Into My Arms” and ending on the mellow, yet fulfilling, “Let It All Out (10:05).” Coin is back and, as you can see on “Dreamland,” they’re better than ever. 

Rating 5/5 

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.