Column: Why ‘Grandma’s Cookies’ are actually good

0
1
exc-5e587c429df53f4eb31312d2

The Daily Campus Sports section has had some fun over the last couple weeks. We’ve made light of Otto the Orange as the worst mascot in sports and predicted what ‘Gods Will’ do in honor of Jayson Tatum’s latest ink. 

But I think it’s time to get back to some real, hard-hitting journalism and show my parents where their tuition money has gone. 

Grandma’s Cookies are actually good and do not deserve the unwarranted hate they often receive.  

Grandma’s Cookies are actually good and do not deserve the unwarranted hate they often receive.  Photo via    Dollar General

Grandma’s Cookies are actually good and do not deserve the unwarranted hate they often receive. Photo via Dollar General

Alright. Let me preface this with the fact that if you’ve never had the privilege of eating a media boxed meal at a UConn sporting event, at either the XL Center or Gampel Pavilion, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about and have already lost interest. That’s okay. This is mostly for the haters that sit in on our weekly sports meetings anyway. 

As a member of the media covering a UConn game at either venue, you are given a boxed meal. They consist of a cold cut sandwich of your choosing, a bag of Cape Cod potato chips, all the mustard packets in the world and a package of two Grandma’s Cookies. 

No, not YOUR grandma’s cookies, but a separate brand. 

The first time I got one of these iconic meals was in my junior year while covering a men’s hockey game. I had no idea what to expect from the meal itself, but had little to expectations that the included cookies would be anywhere near good, let alone edible.  

To my surprise, they were better than I expected and that was my take. “They’re not great, but they’re better than I expected,” is what I would say anytime they became a topic of discussion. In a room where the majority of people have tried them, they came up in conversations more times than you’d probably guess. 

Now, as a senior with only one boxed meal left in my student-media career, my take has slightly shifted. The cookies have gone from “better than expected” to “hey, these are actually pretty good”. I’m not saying they’re fantastic by any means, but calling them “trash” or straight up “bad” is just wrong. 

Grandma’s Cookies are actually good and do not deserve the unwarranted hate they often receive.  Photo via   Dollar General

The best comparison I can make, for those who have not had them, is they are very similar to the chewy version of Chips Ahoy — you know, the red packaging — but not in size. They are actually bigger, maybe double the size or so, with the same consistency and a perfectly normal ratio of cookie to chocolate chip (they come in other flavors, according to my research, but the chocolate chip variety is what is provided with the meal). 

If you couldn’t tell by now, this is a very polarizing topic in the Daily Campus sports section. It has caused wars between writers and the feud will likely never end, but I’m giving it my best shot to put it to rest. 

While I think the best way to move past this is to recognize each other’s differences, I’m not ready to do so just yet. Some of the people I’ve gotten to know and develop friendships with sit on the opposite end of the spectrum as I. Andrew Morrison, who I share a counter with during weekly meetings and work with to cover the men’s basketball team, routinely brings his package of cookies home to give to his roommates instead of eating them himself. Through an inside source on the women’s basketball beat, I’ve learned Sean Janos also feels this way, though I’m not sure how he chooses to discard them. There may be others hiding, but those are the ones I’m aware of. 

I’m not saying you have to love them or think they’re the best, but at least judge them objectively. At their worst, they’re solid. To me, they’re good cookies. Heck, once I’ve had my last boxed meal, I may feel inclined to pick up a pack if I ever see them at the gas station. That’s how good I think they are. 

If you made it this far, congrats and thank you. You are likely a DC sports writer or my parents. Either way, I hope this made you proud. ‘Grandma’s Cookies’ may not actually be your grandma’s cookies, but they’re pretty darn good. 

Kevin Arnold is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu. He tweets @karnold98.