UConn’s Connecticut Environment Action Day teaches middle schoolers about effects of climate change

0
0
exc-5e5c5e6f9c441026dca94758

A photo of middle schoolers learning about the effects of climate change at UConn’s Connecticut Environment Action Day. This year over 100 middle school students attended!  @uconnextension

A photo of middle schoolers learning about the effects of climate change at UConn’s Connecticut Environment Action Day. This year over 100 middle school students attended! @uconnextension

On Feb. 28, the University of Connecticut hosted the Connecticut Environment Action Day (CEAD) as a way of educating young people about environmental issues. 

Part of the larger Climate Change Challenge going on until April 3, the CEAD was the primary kickoff event with 100 middle school students attending from various cities in the area. This year, the theme of all events will be climate change, Mark Cournoyer, UConn Extension 4-H Coordinator, said. 

“This year’s theme is around climate change, so we’re looking at what is climate change, and how can we as individuals and small communities make impacts at the local level to affect climate change in our world,” Cournoyer said. 

There were three primary goals for the CEAD, according to the program’s website. Their goals were to increase student awareness of the environment and natural resources, the effects of human behavior on the environment and the things they can do as active citizens to positively impact the environment. 

In addition to the program held on the UConn Storrs campus, 32 free environmental education 4-H curriculum kits were offered to middle school teachers in Connecticut. These kits were primarily to further the education of the middle schoolers after their time at the CEAD was done. Because of the limited number of physical education kits, teachers who did not receive a physical kit can utilize the online curriculum. 

These curriculum kits were initially spread to a wider audience when a group of UConn students received a Change grant to work with UConn Extension’s 4-H program in the creation of them. 

Those interested in learning more about the program can look into UConn Extension’s Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.